Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu To Abandon Unity 8, Switch Back To GNOME

Phoronix: Ubuntu To Abandon Unity 8, Switch Back To GNOME

Canonical has announced via Mark Shuttleworth they are ending their development of the Unity 8 desktop environment and will be switching back to GNOME desktop by Ubuntu 18.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am forced to eat my words.

Comment

wow, did we go back in time to 1st April!?

happy they are going back to gnome.

Comment

I for one hope that they keep and improve Unity7 (and port it to Wayland, in case they also ditch Mir). I really can't stand GNOME, although I've tried so hard in the past. Well, if you com from GNOME to Unity, you may not notice any shortcomings, but the other way around, you'd see GNOME is pure pain in the window management and multi-tasking department.

Comment

I had to check the date after reading this. It really isn't the 1st.

Comment

the end of linux desktop for good, great decision after 4 four years working in something and back for something unusable like gnome

Comment

65 minutes ago this post was written:
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

I don't understand the surprise. They've been dumping resources into this stuff for years and have nothing to show for it to date. The decision makes all the sense in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post
                  65 minutes ago this post was written:
                  http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...ps-For-Unity-8
                  Yep after Ted Gould wrote blog post this morning.... I guess Mark kept this as a surprise to everyone.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Serves' em right.
                    Childish, silly and irresponsible instance of a distro.

Comment

Working...
                    X