Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu GNOME Will No Longer Be A Separate Flavor

Phoronix: Ubuntu GNOME Will No Longer Be A Separate Flavor

Ubuntu GNOME 17.04 was released today alongside the other Ubuntu 17.04 flavors, but for those wondering what's happening to Ubuntu GNOME now that Ubuntu 18.04 will use GNOME with Unity being dropped, the Ubuntu GNOME flavor is winding down...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't help but notice that in all of the explanations that have been coming out lately, they seem to pretend that KDE doesn't exist. They claim that no one does this and no one does that, but KDE does those things. They should just make Kubuntu their flagship, instead.

Comment

Canonical: We don't work on Unity anymore. Let's join forces and make the best Ubuntu Gnome ever!

Ubuntu GNOME Team: No. 'Cause FUCK YOU, that why.

===================
      will never happen... but would be a so satisfying story for me to hear/read

Comment

Canonical please keep Unity 7 alive and updated. Why not put away with all Ubuntu flavours and let the user choose what desktop to use/install as default during install? Like OpenSuse etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
          Canonical please keep Unity 7 alive and updated.
          There's a lot of uncertainty right now, but from what I understand, the plan is to have Unity7 installable from the universe repository at least through Ubuntu 18.04. I don't know if Ubuntu Unity will become an official flavor for 17.10 (maybe if there is substantial interest). I think the ultimate goal is to make Unity redundant by making a similar desktop with less maintenance burden.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            Nah, it is much better for everyone just to pretend that KDE is not here.
            You don't need to pretend other desktops don't exist unless you're a gnome fanboy and troll.

Comment

Essentially Ubuntu MIR and Ubuntu GNOME are swapping places. MIR will live on as a desktop supported by its fans and developers.

Comment

Telling KDE the truth is not without a cost. Just imagine all the butthurt feelings that will flood the forums if someone told the truth. Unaudited code that crash in million ways is not something you want to deal with. Worse, it is incoherent. And without proper design.

When your balls drop and voice breaks I may consider your opinion.

Comment

Telling KDE the truth is not without a cost. Just imagine all the butthurt feelings that will flood the forums if someone told the truth. Unaudited code that crash in million ways is not something you want to deal with. Worse, it is incoherent. And without proper design.

Basing on you Gnome's motto is: by idiots for idiots. Something funny for you:

The winner in the category didn't surprise me at all. And that's KDE's Plasma desktop. It received over 34% of the votes.
                  In my experience, Plasma is 'the' most advanced desktop environment around, it beats even Windows and Mac OS X.
                  Dolphin is 'the' best file manager. Period. Nothing, not Finder on Mac OS X, Explorer on Windows, or Files on Gnome, comes anywhere close to Dolphin when it comes to ease of use of richness of features.
                  Coming in second with 26% of the votes was the good old Xfce, which is among the trusted desktop environments.
                  http://www.cio.com/article/2881172/s...vironment.html

Too bad market share for 'reference Linux dekstop' is quite low on Linux.

KDE however, should get rid of stupid people:

https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/in-5-...loper/#respond

It's more likely in five years there will be no PC-BSD/FreeBSD at all.
                  Last edited by Guest; 13 April 2017, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

When your balls drop and voice breaks I may consider your opinion.
                    Never expected anything to make me laugh on the Phoronix forums

Comment

Working...
                    X