Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9-Way RadeonSI GPU Tests On Mesa 17.1 + Linux 4.11

Phoronix: 9-Way RadeonSI GPU Tests On Mesa 17.1 + Linux 4.11

With the Mesa 17.1 branching now having happened plus in prepping for Radeon RX 500 series Linux graphics benchmarks this week, for your viewing pleasure now are tests on nine different AMD GCN GPUs under a range of Linux gaming tests when using the 4.11 kernel and Mesa 17.1 Git trees. NVIDIA comparison results will follow plus planned RX 560/580 Linux benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No AMDGPU-PRO figures? Because those are still relevant figures, or are they coming later?

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
      No AMDGPU-PRO figures? Because those are still relevant figures, or are they coming later?
      As far as gaming is concerned we seem to have got to a point where amdgpu pro is relevant only for Vulkan. Because the open alternative is slow.
      For openGL benchmarks I don't think anybody is too interested anymore.

continued vulkan Benchmarking of amdgpu pro is very important Yes due to below reasons
      -for Linux AMD gamers to see the best vulkan performance currently available on the their hardware, and vs Nvidia too
      -to compare with RadV as RadV matures
      -vulkan part of amdgpu pro will be open sourced so everybody should take an interest in it's performance, even if you don't like closed drivers
      -radv is only usable with AMDGPU drm which is still not enabled for sea islands and southern islands hardware by default, and too fiddly to enable for the average user. So lots of people with good hardware like the 280x or 390x etc have to use the proprietary driver for Vulkan. I feel that getting sea islands and southern islands users onto AMDGPU drm will be a big step forward and simplify the ecosystem. Well hopefully kernel 4.12...
      Last edited by humbug; 18 April 2017, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post

-radv is only usable with AMDGPU drm which is still not enabled for sea islands and southern islands hardware by default, and too fiddly to enable for the average user.
        On this note, the more time goes by, the less relevant this point becomes. I'm sitting here with my close to 6 years old Radeon 7970 and it was a heck of a ride - it matured very well and is until today a card I can use for most games on my 1920x1080 monitor. But as time goes by, games are coming out demanding too much from this beauty to comfortably play it. I'm going with Vega once it is out (and I guess a couple of people still sitting on those old cards are in the same boat).

The 7970 will get a nice retirement box and a "job well done" sticker.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
          I'm pretty sure very few people are going to be switching between drivers for Vulkan and OpenGL. When you're getting very similar performance with one API and much better with the other API, then that's what people are going to be using unless they're Stallman types. Then again this is Phoronix so Stallman types are obviously pretty common, thou I wouldn't say they're the norm or majority.

Personally I don't see much of a point in RadV beyond a fallback in case AMD decides not to open source AMDGPU-PRO. The instant AMDGPU-PRO is made open source, it'll be made redundant and I personally hope most of it's developers will stop wasting their time working on it as it'll just be another NIH syndrome project. Sort of like Mir.

Comment

Then again this is Phoronix so Stallman types are obviously pretty common, thou I wouldn't say they're the norm or majority.
            Stallman types does not use even use opensource driver cos of firmwares, leta alone official big blobby and steam and blobby games... it is No to any kind of blob
            Last edited by dungeon; 18 April 2017, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              Stallman types does not use even use opensource driver cos of firmwares, leta alone official big blobby and steam and blobby games... it is No to any kind of blob
              You're probably not stupid so you still get the point (people using open source because it's open source, not because it's actually superior software)

Comment

You're probably not stupid so you still get the point (people using open source because it's open source, not because it's actually superior software)
                Well, Stallman types you mentioned are free software guys that is different than opensource... sort of opensource guys might say OK to some blobs, but free software say No to all of these blobs
                Last edited by dungeon; 18 April 2017, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shevchen View Post
                  I'm sitting here with my close to 6 years old Radeon 7970
                  there are much more recent si cards

Comment

When you're getting very similar performance with one API and much better with the other API, then that's what people are going to be using unless they're Stallman types
                    it is the other way around: between { {fast vulkan for two opengl games} + { shitty opengl } } with blob and { { fast and robust opengl which works with all linux games } and { nine for windows games } } with upstream working out of the box linux drivers only idiot will choose blob

Comment

Working...
                    X