Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd Lands Meson Build System Support

Phoronix: Systemd Lands Meson Build System Support

Systemd can now be built with the Meson build system as an alternative to its traditional Make support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Careful, systemd might integrate Meson and force systemd on everyone who uses Meson.

I shouldn't even be joking about this...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Careful, systemd might integrate Meson and force systemd on everyone who uses Meson.

I shouldn't even be joking about this...
      Mesond anyone?

Joking aside, I know nothing about Meson, but Gradle runs as a daemon and continuously builds your source code. Quite a nifty feature.

Comment

SystemD had 166 releases in last 7 years or 23 per year... which means any user should update their init system every 2 weeks and do that on fastest build system - that would obviosly save anybody's time
        Last edited by dungeon; 25 April 2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          The Meson build system support was merged today in systemd for those wishing to se this Ninja-powered build system on Linux that's becoming widely-used by GNOME, X.Org, and numerous other projects.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            SystemD had 166 releases in last 7 years or 23 per year... which means any user should update their init system every 2 weeks and do that on fastest build system - that would obviosly save anybody's time
            You do realize build time savings are there for developers and not users, right?

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
              You do realize build time savings are there for developers and not users, right?
              If you show me systemd binary that any distro should use, i would agree on that
              Last edited by dungeon; 25 April 2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

This is cool and all, but why is no one starting to use tup? Kind of the same project, except it has both an incredibly simple syntax, and support for using Lua files. So it can do away with some of the more common-place autoconfigure systems, even if it doesn't replace it.

Comment

*gentoo user internal screaming*

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

If you show me systemd binary that any distro should use, i would agree on that
                    You seem to be a special kind of moron. Debian users will use the Debian binary, Ubuntu users the Ubuntu binary, Arch users the Arch binary, ... . It still has to be compiled only once per distro and only by the distro developers. Or are you seriously demanding that software developers now have to provide a binary for each and every system out there? or is it just systemd developers that you want impose that special burden on?
                    Unless, of course, you happen to run a source based distro with systemd, but then whining about having to build something from source would be more than weird.

Comment

Working...
                    X