Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD/DVD Image Changes For The Upcoming Debian 9.0 Release

Phoronix: CD/DVD Image Changes For The Upcoming Debian 9.0 Release

With Debian 9.0 not being far away from releasing, the Debian CD Images Team has issued an update over their fundamental changes happening for this "Stretch" cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Images with non-free firmware is great from a practical perspective.
    Takes a bit of digging to locate the latest Stretch iso but much easier to install this rather than relying on an old usb eth adapter or similar and then change eth adapter later.

Comment

I only value 2 images, these are mini.iso and full BD set which include entire Debian release Basically with and without net availbility options other isos just play something in the middle ground

Here it is - 39MB size... link won't change but it would be up to date anyway:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/s...tboot/mini.iso

They should only remove 'Automated install' option there, anything else is fine
      Last edited by dungeon; 28 April 2017, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Yasssssss. I suppose images with non-free firmware also have the non-free repo enabled?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Yasssssss. I suppose images with non-free firmware also have the non-free repo enabled?
          Nope, it just include non free firmware while regular ones don't Directory contain firmwares vs directory does not contain firmwares, everything else is the same:

https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware#Fir...e_installation
          Last edited by dungeon; 28 April 2017, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Nope, it just include non free firmware while regular ones don't Directory contain firmwares vs directory does not contain firmwares, everything else is the same:

https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware#Fir...e_installation
            Damnit. I'll stick to cloning pre-installed/configured partitions over, then.

Comment

I haven't seen any CD or DVD in a long time.
              I don't own any device capable of playing such media.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I haven't seen any CD or DVD in a long time.
                I don't own any device capable of playing such media.
                Yeah, all the bloat a slim DVD player (scavenged from an old laptop maybe) adds to your house must be unbearable.

It's a long time since I last used my usb DVD players, but I don't think it is a good idea do to without players for them yet. For that matter I still have USB floppy drive readers even if I know they are obsolete and won't be used EVER again, just in case.

Comment

With other distros (ubuntu, Suse, Redhat, Centos), you can loop-back mount the ISO on a web server and use it directly as a repo for a PXE boot server.

Sadly, this isn't possible with Debian, I tried to discuss this with someone but they weren't interested, didn't/wouldn't see my point :-(

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    I haven't seen any CD or DVD in a long time. I don't own any device capable of playing such media.
                    I'm going to take a wild guess that you are not part of the target user base for Debian stable. It must be very interesting to be you and think the world revolves around your preferences.

Comment

Working...
                    X