Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon's ROCm OpenCL Runtime Finally Open-Sourced

Phoronix: Radeon's ROCm OpenCL Runtime Finally Open-Sourced

AMD has made good on their word to open-source their ROCm OpenCL stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congratulations! Another significant milestone met!

Comment

I almost don't believe it.

Hip hip hurray!!! Thank you AMD!!!

Comment

So, there is definitely no one reason to buy something else than an AMD discrete GPU if your workstation is running Linux:
        http://dl.illwieckz.net/b/linux-gpu-...bility-matrix/

The complete stack is now opened, from kernel driver (amdgpu) to OpenGL 4.5 (radeonsi), Vulkan (radv), Direct3D9 (galliumnine) rendering and OpenCL (rocm) computing.

If you're running Linux, there is no point buying something else than an AMD Radeon and there is no point using something else than free software. No other vendor provides all these features, and AMD only provides that completeness with free software stack. Free software strikes again.
        Last edited by illwieckz; 13 May 2017, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Amazing job, Thank You AMD for the best support ever, waiting to retire my old damn good r9-280 once Vega is out(prolly going to Polaris price wise but until Vega I'm not sure, that damn HBM looks sexy)

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
            So, there is definitely no one reason to buy something else than an AMD discrete GPU if your workstation is running Linux:

The complete stack is now opened, from kernel driver (amdgpu) to OpenGL 4.5 (radeonsi), Vulkan (radv), DirectX9 (galliumnine) rendering and OpenCL (rocm) computing.
            No, I'm afraid competition doesn't end. NVidia really made the game much harder hardware wise and especially software wise as we saw in GTC last week. Even in raw cuda enhancements hip already needs some work, but I think OpenCL is the most screwed by the disparity of feature support. Unfortunately they still got their work cut out for themselves and they'll have to be pioneers and carry OpenCL into a competitive age with where CUDA 9 is going.. But they're building a solid platform to fight from.

I'm a huge fan of this work but the business case is still difficult. Will have to see Vega 10 and any other surprises they have waiting, if any. TPUs, multi level synchronization, and what seems to be the end of warp divergence (which also cures lockless algorithm problems) are some of the biggest things they have to work on now. I wish them luck.

Comment

So since I'm lazy, can anyone list what the requirements to run this are?

Do you need the -pro kernel driver? I'm assuming upstream llvm isn't good enough, right?

Comment

\o/ Thanks AMD i have been waiting on this since the announcement September 2015
                https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC201...hou_amdgpu.pdf

Does this also mean that AMD vulcan support is a step closer now? We got radv until it's released.
                Last edited by Nille_kungen; 12 May 2017, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
                  Instead of "Yes" on "Driver status" and under "Free/Libre" it should say "No(firmware required)"

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Instead of "Yes" on "Driver status" and under "Free/Libre" it should say "No(firmware required)"
                    1) Firmware isn't part of the driver.

2) Would you rather the firmware was on a read-only chip on the GPU?

Comment

Working...
                    X