Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging 2.8 Improves Fake DLLs

Phoronix: Wine-Staging 2.8 Improves Fake DLLs

Building off last week's Wine 2.8 release, Wine-Staging has been updated with a few extra features on top...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I remember using Wine back in the days, but I haven't really used it for years.
    Last time was when I played Portal 2.

One thing I used it was for mspaint. I love that piece of software.
    Other than that, my favorite software on Windows 10 is the post-it note applications where you can have notes on your desktop.
    But it is a Windows Store app, so I don't think that works on Wine.

I also love Visual Studio but its a big, complex beast, so thats not going to work with Wine.

What do you guys use Wine for?

Comment

Has someone tried Overwatch and Starcraft yet with it? Fake.dll sounds a lot like the patches from Andrew Wesie to help with the anti-cheat employed by Blizzard.

Comment

Strangely when I asked Alexander Julliard why Wine needs fake DLLs at all he never answered. They are not real Windows DLLs. Wine and Win32 applications work just fine even if you remove them all.

Oh, actually Wine Staging devs have finally explained it to me:

The content of those placeholders does not matter unless applications try to load such files without using the Windows API, which some DRM / anticheat modules unfortunately do.
        Now I wonder if it's possible to disable their generation altogether because I have several wine prefixes and I don't want to fill my disk space with useless files.
        Last edited by birdie; 16 May 2017, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Most older games that don't use bink for multimedia encoding still crash at winegstreamer module in staging. I wonder why they ignore this, it's been around for ages.

Comment

I wonder if the focus on fake DLLs implies that somebody's trying to work on making Wine compatible with Denuvo games? If so, that's amazing! There are a bunch of games that would surely work if only it wasn't for that dreaded copy protection.

Eg. I purchased Dawn of War 3 the other day because it had a cool limited edition box. I figured that since the previous DoW games work great under Wine, and given the DoW3 graphics are apparently not much different (or apparently arguably even worse) than DoW2, it'll probably work soon enough if not immediately.

Surprisingly... it wouldn't even launch! Upon investigation, I noticed on the Steam store page (but not anywhere on the retail box) that it indicated it used Denuvo. Who knows if I'll ever be able to play it now? At least the hologram box looks cool... :-o

Moral of the story... check Steam for Denuvo before purchasing games for use with Wine. Unless the genius Wine devs get around to figuring it out at least.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              Most older games that don't use bink for multimedia encoding still crash at winegstreamer module in staging. I wonder why they ignore this, it's been around for ages.
              Bugs needs to be reported, don't just assume they will become fixed without any effort on your side.

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
                Has someone tried Overwatch and Starcraft yet with it? Fake.dll sounds a lot like the patches from Andrew Wesie to help with the anti-cheat employed by Blizzard.
                According to the release notes StarCraft should work. I myself play WoW, Diablo 3 and EVEOnline (with CCP's Linux Launcher) in Wine

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  What do you guys use Wine for?
                  Playing older games, mainly. Like Heroes of Might and Magic III expansion packs.

Though for the most part DOSBox has been enough for me for the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
                    I'd love to play Starcraft 1.18 on Linux...

Comment

Working...
                    X