Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThinkPad T430 Ported To Mainline Coreboot

Phoronix: ThinkPad T430 Ported To Mainline Coreboot

The Lenovo ThinkPad T430 laptop is now supported by mainline Coreboot Git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes, finally! Will wait a little more to see if everything is alright and will flash mine.

To the people who don't know, Lenovo and others manufactures think is a good idea to white-list the models of wifi cards that work with their notebooks. That means that if you have a better card with new technologies, it wont work. This is my situation now.

That and to definitively get hid of Intel's AMT superpowers.
    Last edited by M@GOid; 19 May 2017, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Sadly there is no support for my T410, I'd love to have Coreboot... but I'm happy if this laptop dies, I can find a cheap T430 and flash Coreboot on it. A friend bought a second hand T430 with the 900p display and 8GB RAM for 250€... with 1 year warranty.

Comment

How is the build quality with T430, at least my T420 is crap and looking the pics of T430 seems to be no different(Compared to my old solid T400). I Will probably go for T440p on next update if I buy used one, but I haven't found any reasons for it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          Yes, finally! Will wait a little more to see if everything is alright and will flash mine.

To the people who don't know, Lenovo and others manufactures think is a good idea to white-list the models of wifi cards that work with their notebooks. That means that if you have a better card with new technologies, it wont work. This is my situation now.

That and to definitively get hid of Intel's AMT superpowers.
          I found a modded BIOS for my Lenovo W510 that added the Intel ACN MiniPCIe so I could upgrade it. You have to turn off AMT to avoid the boot warning for a checksum issue. Other than that, it has worked flawlessly for several years.

Comment

Does anyone know if Coreboot will work on Optimus editions of the T430? Will it boot? Or will the Nvidia card just be ignored and HD4000 is the only option? Want to try it, but scared I might brick the thing :P

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
              How is the build quality with T430, at least my T420 is crap and looking the pics of T430 seems to be no different(Compared to my old solid T400). I Will probably go for T440p on next update if I buy used one, but I haven't found any reasons for it yet.
              I believe it must be the same, because the chassis look the same. But as the usability is top notch, I can forgive some flex here and there.

These guys are for me the best reviewers of notebooks on the internet. Their tests are very consistent so you can easily compare diferent models. Check out their opinion on the T430:
              Detailed review of the Lenovo ThinkPad T430 (Intel Core i7 3520M, NVIDIA NVS 5400M, 14.0", 2.3 kg) with numerous measurements, benchmarks und ratings

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

I found a modded BIOS for my Lenovo W510 that added the Intel ACN MiniPCIe so I could upgrade it. You have to turn off AMT to avoid the boot warning for a checksum issue. Other than that, it has worked flawlessly for several years.
                Good to know. When the Coreboot support stabilizes, I will give it a try with a better card that I have here in a Samsung AMD laptop that I have.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I believe it must be the same, because the chassis look the same. But as the usability is top notch, I can forgive some flex here and there.

These guys are for me the best reviewers of notebooks on the internet. Their tests are very consistent so you can easily compare diferent models. Check out their opinion on the T430:
                  https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review...k.81802.0.html
                  Yeah, thanks. Hardware wise it looks proper thinkpad, real m processor not those low voltage U thingys. I do know the site though(use it quite often for comparing different mobile dgpus), but haven't really look at their laptop reviews(maybe I really should).

Comment

You kidding me? I had this laptop 2 years ago, and sold it to my dad. (It's a great laptop) build quality is solid, screen is matte and nice (so no worrying about reflections) the hard drive has a rubber guard thingy too, it's all around solid. There's also this weird light above the screen that can be used to light up the keyboard, I don't see any use for that unless if you're maybe typing in a fullscreen terminal window tho (cus you know, the screen kinda gets the job done already)
                    Last edited by rabcor; 19 May 2017, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X