Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endless Flatpaks Steam

Phoronix: Endless Flatpaks Steam

The developers behind the GNOME-focused Endless OS catered for building "a global platform for digital literacy" has Flatpak'ed Steam...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Considering the games that steam then runs are non-flatpaked is there much point to this beyond them now being able to distributing it?

Comment

Is there any more information, or a link?

Given that a flatpak is self contained, to the games get installed within the local storage for steam? This would mean that you can't choose a destination for the game outside of your home disk. Is there a way to fix this?

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
      Considering the games that steam then runs are non-flatpaked is there much point to this beyond them now being able to distributing it?
      A flatpak'ed app can't start things outside its own sandbox, so the game must be confined within the steam sandbox.

Comment

if this means i can run my system non multilib, great.

Comment

Endless are the guys who trashed me for not sacrificing more for lima, while they themselves never would even try to support it, and were very busy with asking for support with the binary blob driver.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
            Endless are the guys who trashed me for not sacrificing more for lima, while they themselves never would even try to support it, and were very busy with asking for support with the binary blob driver.
            On behalf of everyone with a Mali chipset in their system, screw you for dangling the lima carrot before us, and never providing your code. Despite your many contributions to Free Software, it does not forgive you for the retaliation you chose to inflict on those that had no hand in your decision.

It's this very narcissistic faux-self-sacrificing attitude that makes me doubt your words about ATi/AMD when discussing your work with them at SuSE. Yes, they are a corporate and developmental trainwreck, but after lima, you aren't to be trusted for anything but a heavily-biased viewpoint, sour grapes, and a predilection to hold code for ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
              What's the potential future for lima?

I'd throw money at anyone working on it. I am sure the CHIP, EOMA68, Olimex, etc people would be interested too. (or any other serious attempt to make a driver for an arm gpu, that's widely available in (preferably oen hardware) SBCs that don't need a binary blob to boot (so probably just mali or powervr)).

Comment

Originally posted by jason.oliveira View Post
                On behalf of everyone with a Mali chipset in their system, screw you for dangling the lima carrot before us, and never providing your code.
                Wait a sec, you say that there is more from libv than what is in https://github.com/limadriver/lima ?

Comment

Originally posted by jason.oliveira View Post

On behalf of everyone with a Mali chipset in their system, screw you for dangling the lima carrot before us, and never providing your code. Despite your many contributions to Free Software, it does not forgive you for the retaliation you chose to inflict on those that had no hand in your decision.

It's this very narcissistic faux-self-sacrificing attitude that makes me doubt your words about ATi/AMD when discussing your work with them at SuSE. Yes, they are a corporate and developmental trainwreck, but after lima, you aren't to be trusted for anything but a heavily-biased viewpoint, sour grapes, and a predilection to hold code for ransom.
                  I do not see you spending that much of your life on doing the right thing, i do not see you getting the few remaining doors slammed in your face as well (on top of the rather broad selection of blackballs i got for modesetting and for freeing ati). This while there is nothing stopping you from using all that code that i made available and turning it into a mesa driver.

Comment

Reminds me of the failure I had on steam when Worms didn't work not due to a missing lib but because dbus interface changed.

Even packing everything along won't work on linux, too many runtime changes.

Comment

Working...
                    X