Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking AMD's New AOCC Compiler For Ryzen

Phoronix: Benchmarking AMD's New AOCC Compiler For Ryzen

This week AMD released AOCC 1.0, the AMD Optimizing C/C++ Compiler, with initial support for Ryzen/Zen CPUs. In this article are our first benchmarks of the AOCC compiler compared to the GCC 6/7/8 and LLVM Clang 4/5 compilers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They should open this project, if it gives no extra performance (with a single exception).

Also I think I'll be honest now.
    What happened to the x264 test? Does it not work? (if so I might have the fix)
    I really doubt anyone would like to convert videos for watching on an ancient DV camera.

Comment

the only interesting result seem to be GCC being relatively bad optimizing for ryzen whereas Clang/AMD compiler does lot better in certain type of jobs

Comment

It's not much of a surprise, RyZen performs about as well as it's going to in Linux anyway and the lack of real number crunching hardware (only 1/2 speed support for AVX and no AVX-512 at all) can't just be magically optimized away in a compiler.

The good news is that you have no need to feel compelled to get AMD's proprietary compiler and jump through the burning hoops to get it enabled just to run RyZen.
        Last edited by chuckula; 19 May 2017, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          the only interesting result seem to be GCC being relatively bad optimizing for ryzen whereas Clang/AMD compiler does lot better in certain type of jobs
          That's not really a valid conclusion to draw from these results without having an appropriate baseline of a bunch of other processors. For example, LLVM tends to do better at some workloads for pretty much all processors, while GCC tends to do better at other workloads for pretty much all processors. The RyZen hardware aspect of it isn't that important.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
            Depends on the mtune setting, really. Gcc's znver1 model is largely copied from bdver4 (Carrizo/Excavator), and that sucks on Zen. -march=znver1 -mtune=haswell gives much better results. Noone has submitted a more accurate zen scheduling/cost model yet.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              They should open this project, if it gives no extra performance (with a single exception). ...
              They should close the project and find something else to do. *lol*

The AOCC compiler doesn't look like it was worth the effort.
              Last edited by sdack; 19 May 2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

Depends on the mtune setting, really. Gcc's znver1 model is largely copied from bdver4 (Carrizo/Excavator), and that sucks on Zen. -march=znver1 -mtune=haswell gives much better results. Noone has submitted a more accurate zen scheduling/cost model yet.
                sounds interesting with the -mtune=haswell. Is there some data that backs that up? Did phoronix run some benchmark comparisons on that? Might give that a try myself

Comment

AFAIU from what bridgman said before, AOCC it is like a staging compiler with patches that didn't land yet on upstream or weren't ready to be upstreamed yet

Comment

https://community.amd.com/servlet/Ji..._13_33_Pro.jpg Help!
                    I need help! I can't use any distro of Ubuntu or similar. Use linux mint 18.1 with kernel 4.4. I cannot measure temperature or anything or nothing in linux mint. I tried to use ubuntu "any distribution" without success. Ryzen 1700, gigabyte ax370 gaming 5.

Comment

Working...
                    X