Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.14 Continues Getting Closer With Its GTK3 Port

Phoronix: Xfce 4.14 Continues Getting Closer With Its GTK3 Port

The release of Xfce 4.14 continues getting closer as their transitional step for getting the lightweight desktop environment up and running with the GTK3 tool-kit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Basically what Michael is saying is that current Xfce users should enjoy their themes and other customisations before the epic breakage in compatibility and sanity comes

Myself, if it is too bad, I am probably going to migrate to Lxde next. What about you guys?

I am also tempted by GnuStep because being written in Objective-C means that there are less developers in the UNIX world (outside OSX) comfortable in that language to fsck things up.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 30 May 2017, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Quick poll: how many times did you have to read the first phrase to understand what it meant?

Comment

That is why I summarised

Comment

My worst problem with gtk3 programs is simply that the GUI is utterly screwed up. That's all!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I really did try to love Xfce and Numix theme almost makes it looks slick and modern but after extended use I simply realized that it's outdated project lagging behind and it just gets worse with Wayland. Multi monitor support was egregious.

Comment

Hopefully this doesn't horrifically break my beloved XFCE... when it inevitably does, I'll be moving to LXDE or Cinnamon.

Comment

Seems, author like to use "wow !" and "yai!" there, like me this > so maybe XFCE should be renemed to that "yai!" He also especially like to ending sentences with (!) so much, i counted 24

So, YAI! 24 should be new XFCE if they wanna gain traction and to look modern in the world of marketing
                Last edited by dungeon; 30 May 2017, 09:24 PM.

Comment

I might use xfce if it was gtk3, the gtk3 inspector is really great and theming apps on a per app basis is nice too.

live debugging css and elements is great.

i just couldnt do xfce because a few bugs. gtk3 was one of them.

Comment

Is there any Xfce Wayland compositor?

Comment

Working...
                    X