Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iMX6 Platforms Can Now Boot Android Proprietary-Free

Phoronix: iMX6 Platforms Can Now Boot Android Proprietary-Free

Thanks to work done by Collabora, Etnaviv, and other open-source developers, NXP/Freescale iMX6 platforms can now boot Android with no proprietary blobs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So can it boot normal linux blob free and with graphics acceleration? Is the single board computer based on the iMX6 what would be a good replacement for a raspberry pi?

Comment

Nice! I can't remember what the progress on blob-less decode acceleration is, but now my CuBox-i4Pro is guaranteed to remain useful into the future.

(...and if I don't want Android and there are no blobbed updates and still no decode acceleration? No problem. Just hang a compatible multiplexer off its eSATA port and use it as an entry-level NAS. Gotta love devices with eSATA ports.)
      Last edited by ssokolow; 06 June 2017, 04:58 AM. Reason: Clarify the sentiment of the second paragraph.

Comment

Quick google found me this:

200-300 EUR, seems a bit pricy compared to say Olimex boards. Can be bought here: http://www.voipac.com/#Products

Comment

This is cheap (~70 €). I use it with Libre/OpenELEC as media center. Although CPU is slower in number than the Exynos on Odroid U2, Kodi had much better performance.
          I think i.MX6 generally has good driver support.

Comment

Wandboards sell at less than 150$ last time I looked, although max ram is 2GB (openrexkit is up to 4GB) http://www.wandboard.org/

Comment

Originally posted by ssam View Post
              So can it boot normal linux blob free and with graphics acceleration? Is the single board computer based on the iMX6 what would be a good replacement for a raspberry pi?
              The Udoo is i.MX6 based, I believe. https://www.udoo.org/udoo-dual-and-quad/

Comment

I got a Nitrogen6x. A bit pricey, but the killer argument for me was that you can have it with a large 10" screen that runs off the board. It served as my laptop for a while, but I had the problem that it would sometimes take ages to boot (due to some DHCP timeout I think I eventually found out), which was painful with no way to suspend. I repurposed it as a server, and now it seems Ubuntu 16.04 broke the screen support anyway.

Originally posted by ssam
                can it boot normal linux blob free…
                Yes. Its device tree is in upstream Linux and it uses upstream Uboot.

Originally posted by ssam
                …and with graphics acceleration?
                That requires blobs. There are guides on how to add the blobs to your own distro if you want. I haven't tried the Etnaviv open source driver.

Originally posted by sandy8925
                Any phones with iMX 6 ?
                Sceptical. Before I added a heatsink, I swear I could have fried bacon on it when idling. No thermal issues though — it's rated for operating in 70°C environments (85°C if you pay extra).
                Last edited by andreano; 08 June 2017, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Any phones with iMX 6 ? That's what I'm interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderbird32 View Post

The Udoo is i.MX6 based, I believe. https://www.udoo.org/udoo-dual-and-quad/
                    Yup. I have the quad. Personally, I've been a disappointed in its performance. Despite having a nice and large passively-cooled heatsink, I still have thermal issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X