No announcement yet.

Radeon's Open-Source Linux GPU Driver Has Nearly Caught Up With Windows' Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon's Open-Source Linux GPU Driver Has Nearly Caught Up With Windows' Driver

Phoronix: Radeon's Open-Source Linux GPU Driver Has Nearly Caught Up With Windows' Driver

Over the past few months we have seen some incredible progress made to the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver as well as AMDGPU (and the RADV Vulkan driver, though not the focus of today's article) as well as the Mesa 3D stack as a whole. The open-source Radeon Linux driver is much faster now than where it was last year and is becoming competitive with NVIDIA's Linux driver performance. For seeing how close the AMDGPU+RadeonSI stack is now to Windows, here are some fresh benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

freaking awesome, TY AMD team and RADV team you rock

Comment

Wow this is impressive. And yet there are still more performance improvements to be done. It's interesting how Linux's performance seems to get worse (compared to Windows) as the graphics quality goes up.

I'm personally curious where the open-source drivers stand when only looking at games that were "ported properly". In other words, there are games where even the closed-source Nvidia drivers seem to have roughly the same performance gap as the AMD drivers - these games aren't a good metric of driver capability. From what I recall, I think Shadow of Mordor was one of these games.

Comment

Wow that's really impressive!

I'm not a premium member, so I don't really have the right to do any requests, but would you be able to do any benchmark comparison between Fedora 26, Arch/Antergos and Tumbleweed? I've heard many people (opensuse guys usually) to say that Fedora has poor gaming performance. It would be really interesting to see if there are actually any differences in performance, now that all of the above have the same kernel and mesa version.

Comment

A good job, again AMD stop with fgrlx/amdgpupro and put your resourges in opensource drivers.

Comment

I have both an r9 390x and a 7970. I just tested Superposition 1080p extreme for the 7970 with this results:
            ArchLinux mesa-git: 1735
            Windows OpenGL: 1643
            Windows DX11: 2100
            This is amazing!
            I would like to see a mesa control panel as well, or cli tool at least. Something official with all the features needed like tessellation amount, AO, AA and AF override etc.

Comment

Apparently still not fast enough to benchmark alongside Nvidia :P
              And I won't even mention the still missing functionality. Not a word about Vulkan. Or HDMI audio.

So yeah, great strides, but there's still distance to cover.

Comment

Also better in several cases.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Wow this is impressive. And yet there are still more performance improvements to be done. It's interesting how Linux's performance seems to get worse (compared to Windows) as the graphics quality goes up.
                  This is the sign of a bad compiler ... or that different shaders got fed to the GPU either because the proprietary driver has hand-optimised versions or because the game does not present the same shader (improper port).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Apparently still not fast enough to benchmark alongside Nvidia :P
                    And I won't even mention the still missing functionality. Not a word about Vulkan. Or HDMI audio.

So yeah, great strides, but there's still distance to cover.
                    HDMI audio works great on older cards. At least on my R7 260X

Great job. That's why I'll stick to Radeon, even though I don't care about gaming performace on linux :d

Comment

Working...
                    X