Updated AMDGPU-PRO Driver Has Performance Fixes, Mad Max Works On Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated AMDGPU-PRO Driver Has Performance Fixes, Mad Max Works On Vulkan

Phoronix: Updated AMDGPU-PRO Driver Has Performance Fixes, Mad Max Works On Vulkan

AMD has just released a new AMDGPU-PRO 17.10 driver. While another 17.10 series driver release for this hybrid stack may not seem exciting without a large version bump, there are some noteworthy changes to this release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hoped for support on r9 270. Any idea if it will happen?

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
      Hoped for support on r9 270. Any idea if it will happen?
      Support for Southern Island is supposed to be there since version 16.50 (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0-relive&num=1), but I haven't tried it yet, I'm running on Arch with the lastest versions of the graphic stack and AMDGPU-PRO doesn't support those yet.

Michael, It would be interesting to see if the support for the Southern Island improved, in that articles you said benches were crashing. Btw, I fell on that Gist which talk about some downclocking that is applied on 270X, wonder if it could improve performance... https://gist.github.com/Francesco149...e17d3c13257929

Comment

heh, I downloaded that earlier tonight, installed it - didn't reboot (so the padoka mesa build was in charge) and then ran ethminer. worked well - well, until my machine hung (probably from overheating the GPU).

it didn't want to boot nicely into X for me (running neon)

Comment

Good job AMD.
          I hope that the amdgpu-pro Vulkan driver is getting continual performance tuning from AMD.

Need updated benchmarks to see how much faster it is than RadV and also how it compares to the Nvidia closed driver. e.g. R9 290 vs GTX 970 would be interesting.

Comment

I thought AMD was supposed to be focusing non-professional driver efforts on improving the open source drivers??

Comment

Originally posted by Xen0sys View Post
              I thought AMD was supposed to be focusing non-professional driver efforts on improving the open source drivers??
              For OpenGL gaming, we are focusing on radeonsi in mesa rather than our closed source OpenGL driver. For Vulkan, our focus is on the AMD vulkan driver which will be open sourced eventually.
              Last edited by agd5f; 15 June 2017, 12:14 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

That seems like an odd choice given there's already open source vulkan driver support. Why not transition now? Either AMD or whomever is developing the open vulkan driver is wasting their time when efforts could be focused for better overall performance.

Comment

This is their official Vulkan driver which is going to be opensourced. So we should all care about it's performance.

That seems like an odd choice given there's already open source vulkan driver support. Why not transition now? Either AMD or whomever is developing the open vulkan driver is wasting their time when efforts could be focused for better overall performance.
                  They are in the process, they can't just transition fast. The driver includes 3rd party licensed stuff which they are removing so that they can legally open source it.

This is also mostly the same Vulkan driver which works blazingly fast on windows. So it makes sense for AMD to keep their devs on this driver for the cross platform API rather than splitting their efforts by working on radV.

Now the challenge for AMD is that not only is RadV already shipping in popular distros but development work has accelerated with more manpower and Valve has started paying people to work on it full time etc. So AMD needs to make sure that their driver has nicer code, remains faster, more conformant, supports more hardware than RadV etc so that it will get accepted upstream when it is open sourced. They have to usurp RadV.
                  Last edited by humbug; 15 June 2017, 12:39 PM.

Comment

My left is focused on left and my right is focused on right... only sometimes i do something in between that is all, people call it recipe for success or somethin'

Comment

Working...
                    X