Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD EPYC 7000 Series CPUs Launched

Phoronix: AMD EPYC 7000 Series CPUs Launched

AMD has formally announced today their EPYC 7000 series line-up of processors, their server/workstation offerings based on Zen to finally battle Intel's multi-year dominance with Xeon and AMD's long-awaited successor to the Opteron family...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Holy threads batman!

Comment

I want to see the bootup logo penguins on a dual socket 2 x 32(64) system. 128 Penguins!
      But I guess there aren't too many boards ready at the moment to send around to testers, let alone gift them to people when a system is easily in a 5-digit-price region. Their official slides mentioned RH, SLED etc., as well as GCC and LLVM, they had tests for people on location under both Ubuntu 16.04 and some Windows system. Someone also published that code compiled with open64 fast in some benchmarks faster than gcc 6.x with -O2.

And nice to wake up and see this launch documented on a lot of websites.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

There are too many threads!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          I want to see the bootup logo penguins on a dual socket 2 x 32(64) system. 128 Penguins!
          But I guess there aren't too many boards ready at the moment to send around to testers, let alone gift them to people when a system is easily in a 5-digit-price region. Their official slides mentioned RH, SLED etc., as well as GCC and LLVM, they had tests for people on location under both Ubuntu 16.04 and some Windows system. Someone also published that code compiled with open64 fast in some benchmarks faster than gcc 6.x with -O2.

And nice to wake up and see this launch documented on a lot of websites.
          I welcome our new screen-full-of-penguins overlords.

Comment

One socket = 8 RAM channels. Does this mean that two sockets = 16 RAM channels?

Comment

Originally posted by trifud View Post
              One socket = 8 RAM channels. Does this mean that two sockets = 16 RAM channels?
              Correct.

Comment

Everyone is ogling the thread count, meanwhile I'm like "128 PCIe 3.0 lanes? How is it even possible to saturate that much?"
                Meanwhile, I thought 64 from Threadripper was a lot...

Also, that wattage is insanely low for how much that CPU can do. AMD is seriously going all-out on these CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Also, that wattage is insanely low for how much that CPU can do. AMD is seriously going all-out on these CPUs.
                  It's an impressive chip for sure, essentially the power of two Skylake Xeons in a single chip, and with more memory bandwidth and more I/O bandwidth. Epyc is a real monster! I can't wait to see the single socket workstation boards that become available. I've got my eye on this H11SSL from Supermicro...
                  The premier provider of advanced Server Building Block Solutions® for 5G/Edge, Data Center, Cloud, Enterprise, Big Data, HPC and Embedded markets worldwide.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    It's an impressive chip for sure, essentially the power of two Skylake Xeons in a single chip, and with more memory bandwidth and more I/O bandwidth. Epyc is a real monster! I can't wait to see the single socket workstation boards that become available. I've got my eye on this H11SSL from Supermicro...
                    The premier provider of advanced Server Building Block Solutions® for 5G/Edge, Data Center, Cloud, Enterprise, Big Data, HPC and Embedded markets worldwide.
                    Weird... I wonder why it uses any PCIe slots that aren't 16x, and I find it weird that it only has gigabit ethernet. Epyc has enough PCIe lanes for 4 high-end PCs.

Comment

Working...
                    X