System76 Continues Working On GNOME Improvements For Future Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Continues Working On GNOME Improvements For Future Ubuntu

Phoronix: System76 Continues Working On GNOME Improvements For Future Ubuntu

System76 continues working on improvements to the GNOME stack as part of their transition in-step to using it over Unity 7, in line with Canonical's decision to switch Ubuntu over to GNOME and abandon their grand Unity 8 ambitions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is good of them. A nice PPA of gnome improvements. I suppose I am in the minority of people who grew to love Unity towards the end. For giggles I installed gnome on my computer at home and put the effort in to bang it into a shape but it just required a lot of messing around to make it usable in even a basic sense. For example, with sloppy mouse focus on, the gnome elements would "click through" a fullscreen game and activate. Its fixed with a gsettings string, but why the hell is that necessary? Gnome is shockingly bad still. I guess it has to be lived with and adapted for, but it feels like a step backwards in a lot of ways.

But, I do want Wayland, so, if that's the price I'm happy to pay it ultimately.

Comment

This is the fallout of Canonical abandonment of Unity. Those who depend on it to make sales are scrambling to fix Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        This is the fallout of Canonical abandonment of Unity. Those who depend on it to make sales are scrambling to fix Gnome.
        You make it sound like improving GNOME is a bad thing. "Scrambling" seems like a bit of an exaggeration, but of course, no transition is pain free, and I would hope Ubuntu will try to be as accommodating as possible to smooth over the bumps.

Comment

In the news today, Canonical fails in another NIH attempt. Red Hat sees record quarter.

Comment

This is a GOOD thing. Now everyone's on the same page and GNOME will go from strength to strength. We all will benefit.

Comment

The thing is the main real weakness of Gnome is the usability for many people.

Ubuntu's main strength is taking something good and making it more usable for more people.

I think a lot of people are upset because this should have happened years ago.....

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post

The thing is the main real weakness of Gnome is the usability for many people.
                The problem with that statement is the failure to clarify what usability is about.

Comment

Umm, and why this stuff is not done by Canonical themselves, again?

Comment

They should try to fix switching between devices. It's not easy to connect a laptop on a TV to watch a movie for instance. I use Display switcher extension and autorandr but it's not a perfect solution.

Comment

Working...
                    X