Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i7 7740X Benchmarks On Linux

Phoronix: Intel Core i7 7740X Benchmarks On Linux

Now with the motherboards having arrived, we can move on to our Intel Core-X Linux benchmarking. Here is an initial look at the Intel Core i7 7740X Kabylake-X processor.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congratulations, Intel, you just released the most superfluous CPU of this decade, the CPU that absolutely no one has been waiting for. But thanks for the article anyway.

Comment

prelimianry

Edit: 7470X in the page name
      Last edited by tildearrow; 27 June 2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
        Congratulations, Intel, you just released the most superfluous CPU of this decade, the CPU that absolutely no one has been waiting for. But thanks for the article anyway.
        I suspect that Intel has this chip in vault long time before AMD even thought to announce Ryzen as in most of their marketing strategy is to smash their rivals, but i'm just a user. They made such move several times by now.

Comment

Reasonable move to battle Ryzen, they improve single threaded performance!
          Zen was designed for the server market and we will see what the future holds!
          Guess Kaby Lake does not scale really well to 8 cores for end user sockets, without making the whole platform prohibitively expensive.

Comment

Small suggestion: could you highlight the 7740 processor in a different color other than the (little bit darker) blue? like Green or something? those of us who has some problematic eyesight cannot see the results clearly

Thanks

Comment

Why does this CPU exist?

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                Why does this CPU exist?
                Because the 7700k doesn't work on X299 chipset? Any new and interesting features on that?

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
                  Perhaps when you are allergic to AMD, ECC or solder or your heater broke - god knows - and you can't afford more cores by Intel you can build your PC in installments and start with the 7740X moving your way up. Or you can tell people that you have a X299 chipset which must be better you know because it's a bigger number... Oh wait they might have the X399 for cheaper...

Well... when I had a chip factory that should produce Kaby Lake chips for a long time like the end of the year and I had to throw my entire 14nm designs on the market within few months and concentrate on smaller fabrics because I realized that I won't get anywhere with them due to their uncompetitive production costs I would consider trashing the chips that I can't reasonably cancel anymore on the low end of my HEDT platform just because it's already based on old chip designs.

Finally the question is whether this CPU has been released on this platform because there is demand for it or if it has been more likely released this way to prevent further damage.

Comment

Originally posted by lvlark View Post

Because the 7700k doesn't work on X299 chipset? Any new and interesting features on that?
                    From what I've seen there's nothing remotely compelling.

Comment

Working...
                    X