Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 1.0 Now Aiming To Support Wayland Clients Directly

Phoronix: Mir 1.0 Now Aiming To Support Wayland Clients Directly

Originally Mir 1.0 was expected early in the Ubuntu 17.10 development cycle, but with their dramatic shift away from Unity 8 and Mir, that's no longer happening but there are new plans for Mir 1.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

just make mir a wayland implementation. problem solved. Effort not totally in vain.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
      just make mir a wayland implementation. problem solved. Effort not totally in vain.
      That's exactly what this does, and we'll only have to wait a few moments to see that people will still continue to complain.

Once this support lands, I might try my hand at writing a Mir-based compositor.

Comment

/me goes to microwave a large bowl of popcorn

Comment

Small correction: "No word if Mir 1.0 will still happen for the Ubuntu 17.10 cycle." => "Mir 1.0 is still intended for the Ubuntu 17.10 cycle".

Comment

That was proposed so many times (make Unity into a Wayland compositor with Mir becoming some layer in between). I guess they finally realized it's a better option than complete rift with the rest of the Linux world. Of course it's rather late (Unity is gone now from their focus).

Comment

Just watch the community fork and complete their vision by 18.04

When you're a OSS company I guess rule #1 is don't piss off the community.

Comment

I fail to see what exactly would Mir add by doing this that isn't already filled by the existing Wayland implementation

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                  I fail to see what exactly would Mir add by doing this that isn't already filled by the existing Wayland implementation
                  I think the point is to keep Unity 8, otherwise you'd be correct. But it's probably easier to add Wayland support Mir than port Unity 8 away from Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                    the existing Wayland implementation
                    Wayland is not a display server, just a protocol. There is no "the existing Wayland implementation"

Comment

Working...
                    X