Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Mali-400 Open-Source Graphics Driver Is In Development

Phoronix: A New Mali-400 Open-Source Graphics Driver Is In Development

An open-source contributor has begun working on a new open-source driver for the ARM Mali-400 GPU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If it is just 1 guy trying this then i can't see it going anywhere. He'll get bored and give up.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
      If it is just 1 guy trying this then i can't see it going anywhere. He'll get bored and give up.
      ...Just like Freedrenon (largely by Rob in the early days)? There's other successful mostly-1-person driver efforts too.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

...or like Eric Anholt (vc4)

I expect once he got some basic functionality working, the project will attract more contributors. Unless of course, ARM tries to shut it down with IP threats.

Comment

So...there may be a possibility of getting OSS Mali drivers without bitching and moaning?! Oh, happy days!

Comment

Not every dev is like libv, this guy for example seems to be already employed by someone (AMD), so there are decent chances this guy can pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              ...or like Eric Anholt (vc4)

I expect once he got some basic functionality working, the project will attract more contributors. Unless of course, ARM tries to shut it down with IP threats.
              Well in the case of Anholt, he was hired by Broadcom for the work and that's when he started doing VC4.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

What the hell??? This is something I had almost lost hope for!!!

If I could get an open source driver for my Galaxy Note (a.k.a. N7000), that'd be awesome!

Comment

Then you have an open source graphics driver, but what about all the other special drivers, like SoC/platform and camera?

Comment

Facepalm from the movie "the naked gun"

Comment

Working...
                    X