Intel Is Working On HDCP Content Protection For Linux Graphics Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Is Working On HDCP Content Protection For Linux Graphics Stack

Phoronix: Intel Is Working On HDCP Content Protection For Linux Graphics Stack

While sure to face opposition by some free software fans, Intel developers have begun working on High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) support for the Linux Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hate Digital Rights Managements, but would actually be OK with HDCP if it was possible to set my own keys to protect against hardware (or software) screen recorders (a lot of keyloggers on Windows have this functionality).

Protect password fields against [wireless] "wiretapping" would be a good use, in my opinion.
    Unfortunately, this is only the sending part. One would need to be able to change the software on the receiving end as well.

Comment

Ugh... HDCP has always stunk like it's something created purely because of some geriatric movie industry executives with a mindset firmly stuck in the 1980s when VHS-to-VHS player piracy was still a thing thought it would actually prevent piracy instead of only inconveniencing paying customers.

The fact that they've been able to decrypt HDCP in real time for years already should have killed if off, but that would have required sane leadership in the film industry and we all know that it's never going to happen.

Comment

I have never had any use for HDCP. So this is useless for me.
        I would rather have something useful such as support for VESA Adaptive-Sync (aka AMD FreeSync).

Comment

i always found unfortunate that drm (linux graphics) shared the name with drm (retard technology)

Comment

Intel, don't you have anything better to do?
            You were once great, developing open standards, both hardware and software, now you're starting to de develop crapware and spyware.
            What happened to you?
            How much is Hollywood bribing you to put this crap into a free operating system,seriously?
            I will ask the developers of the distro that I'm using to not include this anti-user crap.

Comment

They would better implement CEC in their drivers. Intel lags behind other manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I have never had any use for HDCP. So this is useless for me.
                I would rather have something useful such as support for VESA Adaptive-Sync (aka AMD FreeSync).
                No consumer has any use for HDCP, it's been that way since day 1.
                That said, I don't mind HDCP support as an option.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  That said, I don't mind HDCP support as an option.
                  I don't see any point in it even as an option when it's supposed to prevent a type of piracy that hasn't really been a thing since VHS cassettes went away.

Comment

Ugh! Linux is about freedom. Go away with your copy protection crap.

Comment

Working...
                    X