Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Developers Begin Planning For Go 2 Programming Language

Phoronix: Google Developers Begin Planning For Go 2 Programming Language

The Google team responsible for the Go programming language have begun publicly discussing plans and ideas for the Go 2.0 programming language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Go 1.x code will continue to work in Go 2. "

This is not a feature but a requirement for any language. If not, it is dead on arrival because we know Go 3 will break it all yet again.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

This is not a feature but a requirement for any language. If not, it is dead on arrival because we know Go 3 will break it all yet again.
      Python 2 -> 3 ??

Comment

Python 2 itself was broken so they had to decide between short term breakage vs. permanent breakage.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

How odd, most languages that insist on backwards compatibility become nearly unusable to the point where the only thing that matters to it is backwards compatibility.

Comment

Love me some Go. Did it professionally at my last job and it was an absolute joy. Watching Rob Pike videos on YouTube is one of my favorite past-times

If you need a book to get your feet with the language, highly recommend The Go Programming Language by Brian Kernighan and Alan Donovan.

Comment

"go 2 considered harmful" ?

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                Python 2 itself was broken so they had to decide between short term breakage vs. permanent breakage.
                That's a bit of an overstatement - though what else is the internet for, if not hyperbole? Python 2 was wildly popular. If it wasn't, nobody would care over the breaking changes between it and Python 3.

Comment

But ... they should skip 2 and jump straight to 3 because ... Go 2 considered harmful

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post

How odd, most languages that insist on backwards compatibility become nearly unusable to the point where the only thing that matters to it is backwards compatibility.
                    True, without a deprecation mechanism in place, you end up with a lot of bloat, fast.
                    But boy, can I be productive in Go. I mean, I haven't done much with it yet, but stuff just works.

Comment

Working...
                    X