Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Days Away From Branching, How Mesa 17.2 RadeonSI Performance Compares To Mesa 17.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Days Away From Branching, How Mesa 17.2 RadeonSI Performance Compares To Mesa 17.1

Phoronix: Days Away From Branching, How Mesa 17.2 RadeonSI Performance Compares To Mesa 17.1

With Mesa 17.2 due to be branched by the end of the week and thus place this quarterly update to Mesa under a feature freeze, here are some fresh benchmarks of the AMD RadeonSI OpenGL driver on 17.2-dev compared to v17.1.4 stable as well as a few RADV Vulkan benchmarks too.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

is it really a regression, or is 320 fps for Mad Max unrealistically high..?!

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
      I'm guessing the same probably is not a regression but a missing step on the render before that now works properly and show real FPS

Comment

Very exciting numbers overall. These differences will really help close the performance gap, both between Nvidia and AMD's Windows drivers. Imagine how much faster progress would be if those pesky DC/DAL patches weren't in the way.

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
        I agree, even the regressed frame rates are still pretty good. Both GPUs performed roughly the same in Mesa 17.1, which could've been a CPU bottleneck, but could also be an issue with the drivers. Not all regressions are necessarily bad if it means things are rendering properly (but I'm not sure if there were issues before).

Comment

Relly nice boots in most games. It would've been nice to see also a comparison with Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
            Relly nice boots in most games. It would've been nice to see also a comparison with Nvidia.
            That will come as Mesa 17.2 is closer... Obviously not practical benchmarking NVIDIA each time I run a Mesa comparison.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Wow. If every 17.x version update gets 5 to 20% perf improve. In 10 years this driver will make our computers fly to the moon

Comment

Wow, now suddenly even my old R9_290 is practical for games 50fps+ in things like "Dying Light", 60fps+ In "Borderlands the presequel"

Now if the RadeonSI developers could manage the R9_290 not to get too hot and crash we have a winner.

My 480 now flies, I have 100fps+ on some games (paired with a Ryzen 1800x)

Simply amazing, kudos to the Mesa developers.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
                  Now if the RadeonSI developers could manage the R9_290 not to get too hot and crash we have a winner.

My 480 now flies, I have 100fps+ on some games (paired with a Ryzen 1800x)
                  They can't do anything about the heat, that's just the nature of the product. I'm guessing you are using the reference cooler? My 290 rarely exceeds 70C, which is low for an air-cooled ~275W GPU. Your temps are likely related to the crashing. As a tip - many AMD GPUs supply more voltage than they really need. You could try editing the GPU BIOS and lower the voltage by 0.05v, maybe even 0.1v, which will substantially help your temps.

The 290 is roughly on-par with the 480, better in some ways, worse in others. Your GPU must be seriously throttling its performance if yours is half as fast as a 480.

EDIT:
                  Also, your PSU could be the problem. Usually a high-wattage card + insufficient power = instability. Keep in mind PSU wattage isn't divided evenly. For example, I have tested my 290 on a 500W unit on an under-volted Athlon II. Using a watt meter, the PC immediately powered off once the GPU pushed the wattage to roughly 300W. Despite being a safe distance away from the 500W rating, the PSU failed.
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 17 July 2017, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Wow, Mesa 17.2 will be very exciting for AMD graphic cards!

Comment

Working...
                    X