Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qt QML Is Better Than HTML5 For User Interfaces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt QML Is Better Than HTML5 For User Interfaces?

Phoronix: Qt QML Is Better Than HTML5 For User Interfaces?

Get the popcorn ready as this should be an interesting discussion item: is using Qt QML better than HTML5 when designing user-interfaces?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Since they write about having the developer test the UI on different browsers, are they trying to compare a desktop application to a web-application? Sounds rather stupid in my opinion.

Comment

What about this: https://qmlweb.github.io/

Comment

Is someone genuinely surprised?

Comment

I am not surprised.
          What I would like to see is Qt Quick Controls 2 which look native on the desktop.
          Last time I checked they only had styles for the big 3 mobile platforms.

Comment

I prefer HTML5 in mobile contexts because I tend to run mobile devices with non-standard OSes and wouldn't want to be a hypocrite. As for desktop apps, I'd go with PyQt's QWidget APIs most of the time, since they blend in with native OSes better than APIs exposed to QML.

...though there are certain situations I can think of where native widgets or HTML5 widgetry aren't going to work either way. If I need to render a GPU-accelerated GUI with custom animations and actions anyway and I can't really achieve the kind of throughput and latency I want without direct access to the local filesystem, I'd certainly choose Qt Quick 2.0 over writing my own GUI framework in raw WebGL, OpenGL, or Vulkan.

Comment

Comment

"Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."

Comment

HTML5/JS is the most common royalty-free cross-platform environment, which is available on billions of devices and oncoming WebAssembly will provide a good performance even on the embedded targets. I would use QtQuick only as a last resort in some corner cases.

Comment

I don't know QML at all, but solely based on the fact that it doesn't have a legacy means is could do better than HTML5. Not that it matters, HTML isn't going to be displaced any time soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X