Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage Was At 0.74% For July

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Was At 0.74% For July

With a new month comes the latest numbers from Valve's controversial Steam Survey...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm curious, does Valve tell the game producers what operating system the games are being sold on?

Comment

I'd like to make it higher but the Steam client starting spontaneously segfaulting at launch on my fully functional system so no Steam for me until they got off their asses and fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
        I'd like to make it higher but the Steam client starting spontaneously segfaulting at launch on my fully functional system so no Steam for me until they got off their asses and fix it.
        its the new beta that segfaults on Arch for me also. I just run steam-native for now, which uses system libraries. Works fine that way

Comment

I had to update a friends arch, for some reason steam-native-runtime wasn't installed.

Honestly the only question I have is what is the only other relevant metric -- how many gamers are on steam.

0.74% of a gigantic number is still a lot, especially since our market has less content-saturation, there is still plenty of room to make lots of money.

Comment

Let's be real. Linux has problems scrolling down webpages. For gaming, it's horrible. And that's ok. When you want to work, do some command line type of work, linux is beyond awesome. Need to compute, transform, compile? Work? But for play, the scheduler is really bad and the GNU/Linux guys have absolutely no concept of "responsiveness".

I don't want a screwdriver that has an integrated radio, I don't want a radio that can turn screws. Why people always want a universal infinite tool, I'll never know.

Comment

Yeah, hopefully kernel 4.14 and Mesa17.3 changes the situation a fair bit.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                Workaround for segfault: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...ment-318520945

Comment

Steam has a NASTY habit of downloading old library files very often and installing them causing lots of issues. Valve has yet to fully implement a checker to ensure the systems libraries are used first, it doesn't help when each distro has its own idea of were to put them and we all know Valve only really cares about ubuntu defaults.

Comment

Originally posted by NeptNutz
                    The survey popped up for me today (Linux Mint 18.1) for no particular reason other than it being the first of the month. (Not a new install, upgrade, game purchase, etc.)

Perhaps it's the mere fact that I haven't played a game in so long that I might look like a new user.
                    For me it appeared also last month. Normally I only had the survey after fresh installations.

Comment

Working...
                    X