Stratis Is Red Hat's Plan For Next-Gen Linux Storage Without Btrfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stratis Is Red Hat's Plan For Next-Gen Linux Storage Without Btrfs

Phoronix: Stratis Is Red Hat's Plan For Next-Gen Linux Storage Without Btrfs

Yesterday at Phoronix we were the first to broadcast about Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 deprecating Btrfs and since then it's become more clear what their "next-gen" Linux storage focus has become...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Incidentally, it's not really used heavily now but back in the day when XFS was still the primary filesystem of SGI (first on Irix then going to Linux) there was a clustered version that was designed to operate in large RAID arrays (typically a SAN although it could operate as a NAS) and have the same type of management features you expect for a large-scale storage solution.

It was called clustered XFS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CXFS

It's quite a bit older than ZFS and doesn't have all the bells & whistles of modern solutions, but it was a commercial product back in the day.

Obviously what Redhat is doing isn't a direct copy of CXFS, but considering that XFS has been used this way in the past they may have thought it was a good starting point.

Comment

Typo:
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Strartis is described...

Comment

what's the problem of ext4?

Comment

Cool beans man! I can't wait to see how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
            what's the problem of ext4?
            they don't like it.

Comment

This project sounds cool, it's a different approach from current next-gewn filesystems.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                they don't like it.
                EXT4 never fails to me, have a good performance and works well with ssd why they don't invests more in EXT4, making another file system is the solution? duplicating work, if was Canonical doing this, I can image all the hatters here

Comment

Using another filesystem like XFS and LVM I wonder how this will work finally and how they circumvent the issues they had with getting Btrfs stable. We will see if they will deliver something better...

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

EXT4 never fails to me, have a good performance and works well with ssd why they don't invests more in EXT4, making another file system is the solution? duplicating work, if was Canonical doing this, I can image all the hatters here
                    Ext4 is currently the best filesystem for normal users since its very stable and is the fastest overall. But for the future they need many new features that aren't part of ext4 design (and also great performance, maybe thats why btrfs is not an option anymore), so this may be a great idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X