Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i7 7820X Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: Intel Core i7 7820X Linux Benchmarks

While the June launch of Intel's X-Series processors took the attention with the top-end Core i9 7900X Skylake-X and Core i7 7740X Kabylake-X processors, coming in several hundred dollars less than the i9-7900X is the i7-7820X, which still packs a very hard punch. We have now received a Core i7 7820X for Linux testing at Phoronix and are beginning with a round of benchmarks on Ubuntu.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its too bad intel only makes processors for rich people and not average folks. $600 for a chip? I'm not in the market for stuff like this, I don't care how fast it is. I found an Athlon in the trash once, there's really no need for average folks to pay money for computer chips any more.

Comment

Ryzen 3 and i3 are more than enough for most people.

Comment

Thanks for the review!

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          Its too bad intel only makes processors for rich people and not average folks. $600 for a chip? I'm not in the market for stuff like this, I don't care how fast it is. I found an Athlon in the trash once, there's really no need for average folks to pay money for computer chips any more.
          Very true, but with regards to the "trash" thing, volume matters. So while retail Intel is "too expensive", volume might make dumpster diving a place where more Intel is found. Just saying. Almost all of my cheap and fast machines are Intel based.... no AMD to be found. Perhaps this changes several years from now... but somehow I doubt it.

Comment

I'm also looking at all these new releases (for both Intel and AMD) with a resolute yawn. I'm not paying that kind of money for a CPU to sit mostly idle under my desk.

Comment

So nothing new. Want high core count with value in mind? Just get Ryzen 7. Want/need some features and spend much more money on a platform that is just a mess? Get Skylake-X.

Comment

very interesting and worrying for me, particularly about AVX512, and AVX2 tests... Interesting to know what AMD EPYC is offering here. Having i3 beating ryzen 7 here is awful.

Comment

I'm guessing the 7820X's performance gains (over the 1800X) were largely due to the better turbo speeds and being quad-channel. Overall pretty interesting to see both chips trade blows so much - makes TR and Epyc seem promising.

Um... what? I understand your opinion that such CPUs may be overpriced, but your last sentence just doesn't make sense. How exactly do you expect a business to make money if you don't pay for their product? As for that Athlon you found in the trash, unless it was an AM3 or FM2 model, it was thrown out because it's worthless nowadays.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  I'm also looking at all these new releases (for both Intel and AMD) with a resolute yawn. I'm not paying that kind of money for a CPU to sit mostly idle under my desk.
                  I agree that for the average consumer these CPUs are overkill and most people who are interested in them are going to be disappointed for their daily needs. But I still wouldn't consider them boring - they could be what paves the way for more multi-threaded applications, something that we needed a long time ago.
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 09 August 2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

No amazon referral purchasing links?

Comment

Working...
                    X