Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Benchmarks Showing How Gallium3D With RX Vega Smacks AMDGPU-PRO's OpenGL Proprietary Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Benchmarks Showing How Gallium3D With RX Vega Smacks AMDGPU-PRO's OpenGL Proprietary Driver

Phoronix: More Benchmarks Showing How Gallium3D With RX Vega Smacks AMDGPU-PRO's OpenGL Proprietary Driver

Of the many interesting findings from this morning's AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 / 64 Linux review was how the open-source AMDGPU+RadeonSI driver stack with OpenGL actually outperforms AMDGPU-PRO driver, the hybrid Radeon Linux driver relying upon AMD's closed-source OpenGL driver that's also shared with the Windows OpenGL driver. Here are more benchmarks of the RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64 showing the margins by which AMDGPU+RadeonSI can outperform AMDGPU-PRO.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm really trying to figure out the intent behind this headline. After all, the work on the FOSS stack is by AMD. So are they just masturbating or beating themselves senselessly, both metaphorically speaking?

Comment

Wink to AMD someone give this men a ThreadRipper Wink Wink

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        Wink to AMD someone give this men a ThreadRipper Wink Wink
        I was told a week ago I would end up getting Epyc and Threadripper, though I am still waiting... Hopefully coming soon... Have a 40 core / 80 thread Intel box coming this week that wants some competition.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I was told a week ago I would end up getting Epyc and Threadripper, though I am still waiting... Hopefully coming soon... Have a 40 core / 80 thread Intel box coming this week that wants some competition.
          Dumb question, but could you run some games using Epyc and whatever Intel rig you are receiving using LLVMpipe? You know, just for the lulz? PRETTY PLEASE!

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post

Dumb question, but could you run some games using Epyc and whatever Intel rig you are receiving using LLVMpipe? You know, just for the lulz? PRETTY PLEASE!
            Oh yes, already been planning on it!
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Amazing job with the open source driver, well done!

Comment

Doesn't llvmpipe only allow up to 8 cores?

Comment

Now if only we can get a new Direct3D 10, 11, and 12 state tracker; maybe we could see Mesa shipping on Windows, and Mesa gets $$ that Catalyst money $$.
                  Last edited by microcode; 14 August 2017, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Doesn't llvmpipe only allow up to 8 cores?
                    With threaded dispatch it may scale better now, the limit of 8 is an arbitrary one, just because that was about as far as it would scale without improvements elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X