Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryzen 3 Linux Gaming Benchmarks: NVIDIA vs. AMD Radeon

Phoronix: Ryzen 3 Linux Gaming Benchmarks: NVIDIA vs. AMD Radeon

This week I posted some fresh OpenGL vs. Vulkan benchmarks on the AMD Ryzen 3 while for this weekend article are some more Linux gmaing benchmarks from the budget-friendly Ryzen 3 1200 and Ryzen 3 1300X processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, the 1300X is 10 % faster when it matters (i.e. under 60 FPS)? I can see a lot of people being happy with the 1200.

Comment

Nice test, but why acpi-cpufreq ondemand? Your own tests showed that it's much worse than schedutil, and even schedutil yet isn't as fast as acpi-cpufreq performance or intel-pstate performance.
      It probably won't change the relation between Nvidia and AMD, but it's still some destructive potential.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        Nice test, but why acpi-cpufreq ondemand? Your own tests showed that it's much worse than schedutil, and even schedutil yet isn't as fast as acpi-cpufreq performance or intel-pstate performance.
        It probably won't change the relation between Nvidia and AMD, but it's still some destructive potential.
        Probably because it's the default on the distribution he used for the tests. Default settings do matter, since it's what most people will use.

Comment

Originally posted by Xelix View Post

Probably because it's the default on the distribution he used for the tests. Default settings do matter, since it's what most people will use.
          Anyone that cares sets thiers to performance, especially people gaming. If you complain about bad performance and didn't change the setting... thats on you.

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
            So, the 1300X is 10 % faster when it matters (i.e. under 60 FPS)? I can see a lot of people being happy with the 1200.
            From what I recall of benchmarks involving more high-end hardware, nearly all Linux games have no performance improvement going beyond 4 cores. So yes, a 1200 (maybe with a slight overclock) would be a very usable Linux budget gaming CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Anyone that cares sets thiers to performance, especially people gaming. If you complain about bad performance and didn't change the setting... thats on you.
              It's on those that set the wrong default settings. There's 0 reason to default to those settings on Ryzen, as it uses c-states, and handles power management by itself. There's no reason to artificially slow it down.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Anyone that cares sets theirs to performance, especially people gaming. If you complain about bad performance and didn't change the setting... thats on you.
                True, but that is something that a user get to doing when they have more of an understand of the Distro/OS they are using. In other words, the Power User.
                Most users, even in gaming, are not this advance with computer usage so it's safe to assume that default setting will likely be common among users.

And given that Ryzen 3 is the budget offering, you are not going to be a massive different in performance tuning.

Comment

Good tests Michael

However RX 560 is a bit expensive, especially 4gb model

Maybe you can use GTX 1050ti for comparision (both models have 4gb) and stay closer in cost

Try compare GTX 1050 with RX 460/560 but with 2gb (if you have any of them), maybe can make new article title like as: 2GB card showdown: Geforce GT 1030 - Radeon RX 550 - Geforce GTX 1050 - Radeon RX 460/560

Almost forget RX 560 have lower min fps 18fps vs 32fps in min fps in GTX 1050 in bioshock infinite

Last edited by pinguinpc; 20 August 2017, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    This week I posted some fresh OpenGL vs. Vulkan benchmarks on the AMD Ryzen 3 while for this weekend article are some more Linux gmaing benchmarks from the budget-friendly Ryzen 3 1200 and Ryzen 3 1300X processors.

Comment

Working...
                    X