Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android 8.0 "Oreo" Launches

Phoronix: Android 8.0 "Oreo" Launches

Google has announced the release of Android 8.0. Formally known as "Android O", the tasty codename has been revealed as Oreo...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This must be the first time I've read an announcement about a new Android release (yup, I read it here first) and yawned. Because I know barely anyone will get this before 2018.

Comment

Phones, yawn. I guess this is news to 14 year old girls who spend all day texting.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        This must be the first time I've read an announcement about a new Android release (yup, I read it here first) and yawned. Because I know barely anyone will get this before 2018.
        Meh, it will be out for my Pixel XL and Pixel C very, very soon. Though I don't buy third-party Android devices, I prefer to stick to "Google devices" which get excellent software upgrades for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          I've just checked the full release notes and I agree... Downloadable fonts and emoji, I can see how they needed to bump the new major version for that. Sigh

Comment

I'm looking forward to my phone having a slowly increasing melt down as I keep declining to update... Until I'm forced to update and it becomes slower than original with more presses needed to delete the bulk txt messages. Wtf is with all the confirmations. Delete should be two clicks not 3+.
            oh and a dictionary reset so I lose all my custom words.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

I've just checked the full release notes and I agree... Downloadable fonts and emoji, I can see how they needed to bump the new major version for that. Sigh
              Eh, there's "Project Treble" in there which is supposed to lay the groundwork for future speedy updates. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Phones, yawn. I guess this is news to 14 year old girls who spend all day texting.
                Dude, so true. I used to be really into phones and custom firmwares and all that crap. Now I just couldn't care less. The new features are usually "uglier emoji" (lollipop emoji forever!) and features that are probably just spyware anyway. Phones reached a point of being able to do just about anything I'd like around Android 4.4 and since then nothing has happened that I gave a crap about. While I do a lot of texting, its just that -- texting, the phone itself barely matters at that point. Web sucks on mobile, always will, and games are total rubbish, and always will be.

Yawn to the max.

Comment

Originally posted by salsadoom View Post
                  Phones reached a point of being able to do just about anything I'd like around Android 4.4 and since then nothing has happened that I gave a crap about.
                  The permissions revamp in 6.0 was pretty nice.

Otherwise, there's been battery life optimizations as well. But most of the stuff has been behind the scenes changes that don't really grab headlines

Comment

I can't wait to run Sailfish OS on a decent phone. I've had enough Android nonesense, and I've been using it since 2.1

Comment

Working...
                    X