Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FP64 Support Revised For R600g Gallium3D Driver

Phoronix: FP64 Support Revised For R600g Gallium3D Driver

While the Radeon HD 5000/6000 series were advertised as supporting up to OpenGL 4.4 and are supported that way by the Catalyst / Radeon Software proprietary driver, the Mesa R600g driver has only exposed OpenGL 3.3 (with the exception of the HD 5800 / 6900 series) due to lacking FP64 support. That emulated FP64 support is now stepping ahead for the R600g driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

HD 5000/6000 with only OpenGL 4.4? Nope. I have HD5850 and:

Code:
    [x@localhost ~]$ fglrxinfo
    display: :0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series 
    OpenGL version string: 4.5.13399 Compatibility Profile Context 15.201.1151
    In old binary driver I have OpenGL 4.5, on Mesa 17.1 I have OpenGL 4.1. So I think they can reach OpenGL 4.5 in Mesa ofc if they want it. Anyway my hd5000 gpu is not usable on opensource driver due to lack of fan speed control. My fan just working on 100% :/

Comment

Sweetness! Because indeed aside from this FP64 support mesamatrix lists R600 as 100% 4.1 compatible and the higher levels lack roughly each 20% of features implemented.

Originally posted by xpris View Post
      Anyway my hd5000 gpu is not usable on opensource driver due to lack of fan speed control. My fan just working on 100% :/
      I guess you filed a bug report already? It might of course be a board specific issue if the card manufacturer decided to use some custom cooling solution. My first real Radeon d-GPU was a passively cooled HD3870 so I can't tell from that, but my HD 5670 sounds totally bearable under all conditions and I hardly notice it on idle.

Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

There are a lot of GL 4.x extensions that do not depend on FP64, and Mesa devs didn't care about implementing them. It is unlikely that pushing FP64 would change their mind.

Comment

Oh my, what a turn of events!

(Ha, ha!)

Comment

how to test this? just pull/compile/install did not change anything in the advertised extensions. Are there more hw requirements? This is on an old HD3200/RS780.
            Last edited by marvin42; 23 August 2017, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post

I guess you filed a bug report already? It might of course be a board specific issue if the card manufacturer decided to use some custom cooling solution. My first real Radeon d-GPU was a passively cooled HD3870 so I can't tell from that, but my HD 5670 sounds totally bearable under all conditions and I hardly notice it on idle.
              Yes, I reported bug but looks like today nobody cares about r600. RadeonSI have fan control but r600 still not - devs not write it yet and not want backport it from proprieties driver. So I think this is my issue and until they not write this fan control for r600, my gpu is useless on opensource driver.

BTW. I have Sapphire Radeon HD5850 1GB with reference cooling (basic). On Linux with fglrx gpu is silence same as on windows - silence but on linux with opensource fan working on 100%

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post

Yes, I reported bug but looks like today nobody cares about r600. RadeonSI have fan control but r600 still not - devs not write it yet and not want backport it from proprieties driver. So I think this is my issue and until they not write this fan control for r600, my gpu is useless on opensource driver.

BTW. I have Sapphire Radeon HD5850 1GB with reference cooling (basic). On Linux with fglrx gpu is silence same as on windows - silence but on linux with opensource fan working on 100%
                R600g nor RadeonSI have any fan control support at al... They are just the user-space OpenGL drivers... Fan control is handled by the Radeon/AMDGPU DRM kernel drivers.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

R600g nor RadeonSI have any fan control support at al... They are just the user-space OpenGL drivers... Fan control is handled by the Radeon/AMDGPU DRM kernel drivers.
                  Oh.. thanks for correct. According to this bug in DRM/Radeon, old radeon pre gcn not have fan control. Only GCN have it. Devs still not writing support for older GPU:

Comment

I have an ASUS G37JH with a 5870 mobile graphics. It plays some games fine, but in others, certain layers/content will be just black. I see issues with Shellshock Live (Unity), Chivalry (UE3) and Dirt Rally. But then Torchlight 2 and Pillars of Eternity (Unity), play just fine.

Could this FP64 solve the issues I am seeing? What do you think the cause might be? Or better yet, where might be a good place to go to find the solution or report the problem?

Note: This isn't a hardware issue, as I did briefly put Windows on the machine to which it played it all just fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X