Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Vega Firmware Binaries Added To Linux Firmware Git

Phoronix: Radeon Vega Firmware Binaries Added To Linux Firmware Git

It's now a little bit easier getting the Radeon Vega graphics cards working under Linux with the open-source driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile, Debian testing / unstable is still missing firmware even for some Polaris cards (RX 570 for example). You'd need to copy it manually. The most annoying part - it can simply hang on boot if it's missing.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Meanwhile, Debian testing / unstable is still missing firmware even for some Polaris cards (RX 570 for example). You'd need to copy it manually. The most annoying part - it can simply hang on boot if it's missing.
      Isn't that a Debian feature (tm)?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Isn't that a Debian feature (tm)?
        I don't think they have a feature not to add firmware on purpose in their own packages. I suppose they simply lack people who could maintain them on time: https://packages.debian.org/unstable...e-amd-graphics

Comment

I don't think they have a feature not to add firmware on purpose in their own packages. I suppose they simply lack people who could maintain them on time: https://packages.debian.org/unstable...e-amd-graphics
          Ah, misread your post then. Thought it was a case of firmware not installed by default, not "it's not even packaged at all".

Comment

It is getting old, just like their KDE/GNOME transition that's crapped the bed for weeks. After 17 years I'm looking at other options. Anyone using Debian daily has been living off of Sid for years. They don't give a crap about Security patches in old Stable or new Stable. SQA at Debian is often piss poor and many bugs are considered ``non-reproducible,'' until fresh maintainers come in and verify them only to send email notifications 6-12 months later for a fix. By then, I couldn't give a crap about the package that is broken. I've found an equivalent or just focused more on OS X.

Case in point: Calibre has been a broken POS for nearly a year in Debian, just like Blender. I don't bother as I can use externally built packages or just extract the latest update from Calibre or Blender to run against.

I've probably filed > 1k bug reports over the years and the decline of SQA was the first indication that management is unqualified to run the project. It's electoral process is moronic and outdated. At any rate, I've gone from 50/50 Linux/OS X to 10/90 OS X. The few apps I still use are strictly for Blender and web development. The rest is just bloat.

And no, Ubuntu will never be one of my options.

Comment

It sounds like you didn't find a proper solution to your problems. Looking for other distros I can understand, but Apple's junk? No, thanks.
              Last edited by shmerl; 23 August 2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                Case in point: Calibre has been a broken POS for nearly a year in Debian, just like Blender. I don't bother as I can use externally built packages or just extract the latest update from Calibre or Blender to run against.
                Should you consider Fedora, Blender is up to date to stable. Only difference is the support of video editing with disabled ffmpeg due to Fedora policy related to patented codecs. Fortunately, negativo17 (which is the co-maintainer of that version) has the full version with ffmpeg enabled. Whatever your decision, hope you will find suitable distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

I've probably filed > 1k bug reports over the years and the decline of SQA was the first indication that management is unqualified to run the project. It's electoral process is moronic and outdated. At any rate, I've gone from 50/50 Linux/OS X to 10/90 OS X. The few apps I still use are strictly for Blender and web development. The rest is just bloat.

And no, Ubuntu will never be one of my options.
                  what's wrong with ubuntu?, Just curious.
                  Mint?
                  Fedora?

Comment

Hmm... hey Marc I feel your pain. Let us know how you go.

I run a mix of sid+experimental+padoka+liquorix at home on laptop. Have done for years. exp for pinning xfce or just the option if package delayed in coming to sid, padoka for mesa, liquorix kernel.
                    HTPC/gaming rig runs sid.
                    Webserver runs stable.
                    I have considered shifting laptop to arch, possibly htpc too, but if went Fedora based on these recommendations, what would I run the webserver on? Fedora as well? Needs to be stable and secure.
                    I want to keep to something consistent across the 3 different devices.
                    I hate having to deal with different naming and location conventions for os files, not sure if that is still a thing though?

Never Ubuntu, always have reverted back to Debian.

Comment

Working...
                    X