Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A GNU/Linux Smartphone Running GNOME & HTML5 Web Apps? Priced At $599, Ships In 2019 If The Stars Align

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A GNU/Linux Smartphone Running GNOME & HTML5 Web Apps? Priced At $599, Ships In 2019 If The Stars Align

Phoronix: A GNU/Linux Smartphone Running GNOME & HTML5 Web Apps? Priced At $599, Ships In 2019 If The Stars Align

After two successful crowdfunding campaigns for producing security-focused Linux laptops while aiming to be as open-source as possible and now shipping with Coreboot, Purism is aiming for their most ambitious project yet... the smartphone. Can Purism succeed where Ubuntu Mobile, Firefox OS, OpenMoko, and others have not lasted? They think so, but it will take crowdfunding again and the finished device likely won't surface until at least 2019.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I want to believe...

Comment

Looks nice, but a million and a half?

For scale the Indiegogo campaign for the Jolla tablet took in 2.5 million and that was before the enthusiasm in crowdfunding tanked due to a number of failures (like the Jolla tablet) and perceived ones (like Star Citizen). Don't get me wrong, I wish them best of luck, but to me it seems like the era of big crowdfunding projects seems to be over thanks to too much hype and too many failures.

Comment

I wish one of these dated mobile hw + linux attempts would finally succeed where all others failed, but damn even these rendered mockups look ugly as hell. It's the design itself that stinks. Weird and unappealing rectangular shape, thick bezels, no padding on the bottom to help differentiate it from a cheap chinese tablet.

I like the hw switches, but if the battery cover is removable they could have placed them internally. Sure having them easily accessible is neat, but it's a freaking handheld.

I wouldn't expect too much since it's overpriced and the hardware will be mediocre by then, but if they're half as decent as they aim to be I might still just grab one.

Everything has to start from somewhere I get it. Android was no better at its infacy and it's still awful despite being fancy, but I really hoped people would learn from others' mistakes after so mony years. Hope for the best.

Comment

How many of these types of projects have amounted to nothing or flatout failed now? Not even Canonical could make it work. I, for one, am pretty pessimistic about it. Even if it ends up with a production ready device it will probably be less usable than a standard Android phone because without Google-like manpower it can't be as polished.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

For scale the Indiegogo campaign for the Jolla tablet took in 2.5 million and that was before the enthusiasm in crowdfunding tanked due to a number of failures (like the Jolla tablet) and perceived ones (like Star Citizen). Don't get me wrong, I wish them best of luck, but to me it seems like the era of big crowdfunding projects seems to be over thanks to too much hype and too many failures.
            Yeah, and it was totally predictable beforehand too.

Comment

Wouldn't be wise to use off the self hardware for Software development while working to make the hardware. So say, get the software running on a Nexus 5 with a clean method to allow others to run and test. Then use what works and jump to customized hardware with mild software changes? Reduce, reuse, evolve.
              Last edited by Yndoendo; 24 August 2017, 10:18 AM. Reason: PS. I hope the succeed. Do want a phone software puts the end user in control and not Apple or Google (insert mobile carrior here) or Microsoft.

Comment

without some app like whastapp it will fail like other

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

There's a reason some projects don't go for VC.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    Faster you would do a Linux phone by using a Chinese subcontractor for the whole phone hw. For example here is a mainline kernel for Helio X20 that is in many phones, like in my Leeco Le S3 X622 3&32GB that has best features for the money.
                    https://github.com/freedomtan/X20-96...ainline-kernel
                    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/In-s...823646213.html

But sure a Chinese vendor does not fit to this nationalist project. Purism products are for idiots, paying 1500 usd for a 15 inch laptop is crazy and 600 usd for a smartphone too. HP creates enough open source laptops with A12-9700 Apu under 500 usd. HP and Amd should be enough nationalist for purists too.
                    It's not because you don't want to buy local that other projects are "nationalistic". That's just absurd.

Comment

Working...
                    X