Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Turns 26 Years Old

Phoronix: Linux Turns 26 Years Old

Today is the day most commonly associated as the birthday of Linux. Happy 26th birthday Linux!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    But it wasn't untli 17 September 1991

Comment

Happy Birthday!

Comment

"I'm doing a (free) operating system"
        That's why minix died for me... minix was a proprietary OS. It was 350 guilders (roughly 350 euro these days) to get the license to use and change it. You were not licensed however to distribute your fixes, except to fellow users. Not everybody was able to cough up 350 guilders.
        The drivers I wrote died with my system. The fixes I wrote for the build "system" (there wasn't any), just a big waste of time. And only to add a single driver, you had to change 20+ tables in all kinds of header files.
        And then linux comes along, and driver writing suddenly is a breeze, it's just your file that you compile by typing make.
        I know Andy meant well with minix, but his license choice (which wasn't obvious in those times) was bad, and actually killed his baby, while it still needs to realize it is dead, and that resources spend on minix could have been spent on linux or bsd, or maybe even amoeba.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
          "I'm doing a (free) operating system"
          That's why minix died for me... minix was a proprietary OS. It was 350 guilders (roughly 350 euro these days) to get the license to use and change it. You were not licensed however to distribute your fixes, except to fellow users. Not everybody was able to cough up 350 guilders.
          The drivers I wrote died with my system. The fixes I wrote for the build "system" (there wasn't any), just a big waste of time. And only to add a single driver, you had to change 20+ tables in all kinds of header files.
          And then linux comes along, and driver writing suddenly is a breeze, it's just your file that you compile by typing make.
          I know Andy meant well with minix, but his license choice (which wasn't obvious in those times) was bad, and actually killed his baby, while it still needs to realize it is dead, and that resources spend on minix could have been spent on linux or bsd, or maybe even amoeba.
          Eh, sometimes you have to walk the path if only to prove it's the wrong path. You still learn something from it.

Comment

Long live the king!

Comment

Linux didn't buy me beer when he turned 25, I'm not holding my breath this year

Comment

Linux paid for a lot of my beers over the years.

I remember installing from a set of 18 floppy disks in the 90s. Had to pray that none of the floppies was bad, and that your hardware had any basic level of support. There was a company that made a network card that always worked with Linux, and we kept at least a dozen of them in a locked drawer, because they were like gold. Happy birthday!

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Linux didn't buy me beer when he turned 25, I'm not holding my breath this year
                  Are you sure? Perhaps you had too many to remember.

Comment

Happy birthday, Linux! Congratulations to Mr. Torvalds!

Comment

Working...
                    X