Purism's Librem 5 Is Nearing $100k In Funding, But A Long Journey Remains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism's Librem 5 Is Nearing $100k In Funding, But A Long Journey Remains

Phoronix: Purism's Librem 5 Is Nearing $100k In Funding, But A Long Journey Remains

This week Purism announced their plans for the Librem 5 smart-phone as a GNU/Linux smartphone that is privacy-respecting, as open as possible, and costs $599 USD. The company believes they can have the phone ready for release by early 2019 if they raise $1.5 million USD over the next two months. In just about three days they have raised nearly $100,000, but it's not clear if the pacing will continue to reach the milestone in time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

3 days to pay day for me.

Comment

2 weeks on vacation, when I'm back the first thing I will do is to back this project.

Comment

Damn I must go make trucks of popcorn.

Comment

$600 for specs that would even today be low end. Maybe at two hundred less the price premium would be acceptable, but, yeah, no.

Comment

I'd rather someone selected an existing phone, something easy to install an alternate OS on that is readily available (oneplus / pixel / idk). Then build a new OS for that. You could dual boot while testing it. If the OS fails, like it probably will, at least you still have a useful phone.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
              I'd rather someone selected an existing phone, something easy to install an alternate OS on that is readily available (oneplus / pixel / idk). Then build a new OS for that. You could dual boot while testing it. If the OS fails, like it probably will, at least you still have a useful phone.
              Have a look at the Halium work that the ubports developers are involved in. Standard layer that sits on top of android and lets you run more traditional Linux systems.

Librem 5 is about making hardware that respects privacy. You can do that with just a new OS.

Comment

I'd love to support it. But after buying an OpenMoko/FreeRunner and the Jolla phone - let's not talk about the tablet... - I'd rather wait and see where this is heading. I honestly wish them luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Otus View Post
                  $600 for specs that would even today be low end. Maybe at two hundred less the price premium would be acceptable, but, yeah, no.
                  I wonder, where is the actually comparable device which respects my privacy with better stats for less money?

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post

I wonder, where is the actually comparable device which respects my privacy with better stats for less money?
                    I would be willing to pay a premium for privacy. Just not a ~$300 premium.

Comment

Working...
                    X