No announcement yet.

Power Use, RAM + Boot Times With Unity, Xfce, GNOME, LXDE, Budgie & KDE Plasma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Use, RAM + Boot Times With Unity, Xfce, GNOME, LXDE, Budgie & KDE Plasma

Phoronix: Power Use, RAM + Boot Times With Unity, Xfce, GNOME, LXDE, Budgie & KDE Plasma

One of the first follow-on requests from this morning's Razer Blade Stealth Linux testing was for on top of all the other data-sets shared in that article to also look at the RAM usage, battery power draw, and boot times for the different desktop options on Ubuntu 17.04. As the request came in from a Phoronix Premium supporter, I jumped on that and here are some of those numbers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

#inb4debianxfce

Comment

Was Akonadi running when using KDE?

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
      #inb4debianxfce
      GhostOfFunkS too
      Last edited by tildearrow; 30 August 2017, 05:05 PM. Reason: add question about KDE

Comment

KDE 5 is a freaking resource hog and the worst offender is Plasma. Ever since KDE4 was introduced KDE developers have stopped caring about speed, performance and optimizations. That's sad really because I used to love KDE, but now I'm using XFCE exclusively.

Comment

Michael how PTS determines the KDE version? It is displaying "KDE Frameworks 5" on the desktop part, probably the output of plasmasheel would be a better way or more precise

Code:
          plasmashell --version
          # plasmashell 5.10.5

Comment

What about LXQT

Comment

Yup it definitely depends on how the DE is preconfigured. I'm using KDE Neon which is a pretty spartan distro, and at start up it uses ~400mb of RAM with desktop effects and ~380 without.

Comment

KDE looks different for me, but I also have a Gentoo system and not all "default" services are running. I think that can make a difference. Also integration of each distribution might vary the results. Nevertheless it is to assume that things like xfce4 start up faster.

My fastest result (not a full DE though) was twm.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

What the hell did they manage to do to Budgie in Ubuntu? Jesus.

Comment

Why not include the plasma5 Wayland session too?

Comment

Working...
                    X