Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out Ubuntu 17.10 On A Laptop One Month Ahead Of Release

Phoronix: Trying Out Ubuntu 17.10 On A Laptop One Month Ahead Of Release

Curious around the GNOME Shell desktop and improvements made during the Ubuntu 17.10 cycle in transitioning away from Unity 7 and X.Org to GNOME and Wayland, I took the recently-reviewed Razer Blade Stealth laptop and tried out the very latest Ubuntu desktop daily ISO on this Intel laptop. Here are my initial impressions of the current Ubuntu 17.10 desktop experience as well as some power/boot/performance benchmarks of 17.10 in its daily state compared to Ubuntu 17.04 on this Kabylake system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Regarding the dock, I created an extension to access its settings, as they are simply hidden.

Comment

so, will Ubuntu update itself through Gnome Software and asking for a reboot each time? ...is it called offline method? I wouldn't mind as long as won't compete/conflict with an eventual Ubuntu update module/app.. which I'm not sure if is still included in this version.

Can anybody clarify this for me? Cheers

Comment

That GNOME desktop is a trainwreck.

Glad I moved back to Windows.

Somebody let me know when a real Linux desktop distro comes along and I'll be back.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Somebody let me know when a real Linux desktop distro comes along and I'll be back.
          I thought the same about GNOME but it's actually not that bad although Unity was definitely better. The main problem with GNOME is that it doesn't come with any sane and sensible defaults, you MUST spend some time customising it to make it work.

If you want another Linux desktop distro check out some of the Ubuntu derivatives. Xubuntu is popular and provides a very Windows-like experience. Budgie seems to be gaining fans quite fast too.

Comment

Agreed, I'll stay on 16.04 til 2021 then go back to windows unless a DE is created that is not completely fucking retarded

Comment

Originally posted by Guy1524 View Post

Agreed, I'll stay on 16.04 til 2021 then go back to windows unless a DE is created that is not completely fucking retarded
              Can't you try KDE, LXDE, XFCE or the countless other desktops available first?

Comment

Or maybe, your trollship, people will be happy to leave you on Windows xD

Comment

I have 17.10 on my laptop. Works really well..

Comment

So far, release 17.10 works well in a VM. I uninstalled the snap plugin for software center, because I'm not a fan of snaps. Also removed the dock. I cant get rid of the purple login screen though. It's a huge step back from the default Gnome login screen. There should be an easier way to change it (back).

I don't like all the customizations Ubuntu is making to Gnome. I'm still not sure whether to upgrade to Ubuntu 17.10 or switch to Fedora 27 (once it's out).

Comment

Working...
                    X