Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.26: Wayland vs. X.Org Performance - Boot Times, Power Use, Memory Use & Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.26: Wayland vs. X.Org Performance - Boot Times, Power Use, Memory Use & Gaming

Phoronix: GNOME 3.26: Wayland vs. X.Org Performance - Boot Times, Power Use, Memory Use & Gaming

While testing out the near-final GNOME 3.26 this weekend I also ran some benchmarks of it comparing the boot time, memory use, power consumption, and gaming performance when comparing GNOME Shell / Mutter running on Wayland and then an X.Org session.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would have been interesting to see how Wayland effects gaming speed on AMD (and Nvidia when you can actually use it) also

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post
      I would have been interesting to see how Wayland effects gaming speed on AMD (and Nvidia when you can actually use it) also
      gnome supports EGLStreams so you should be able to use nvidia with gnome wayland

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

gnome supports EGLStreams so you should be able to use nvidia with gnome wayland
        NVIDIA drivers don't support XWayland though. All games work under X as of right now.

Comment

Appart from not being able to launch software like gprated (and anything else relying on running with root privileges), gnome-shell running on wayland seems fine to me during normal, daily usage.

Comment

Originally posted by AnassAhmed View Post
            NVIDIA drivers don't support XWayland though. All games work under X as of right now.
            Some don't need X, Xonotic for example.

Comment

Originally posted by KrallDennis View Post
              Appart from not being able to launch software like gprated (and anything else relying on running with root privileges), gnome-shell running on wayland seems fine to me during normal, daily usage.
              As was mentioned in other articles by many users here, yes, you can run gparted et al. in Wayland sessions.

Here is a nice piece of code by Veerappan :

Code:

[FONT=arial]#!/bin/sh

[ -n "$@" ] || exit 0
              xhost si:localuser:root
              sudo $@
              xhost -si:localuser:root[/FONT]
              All you would need to do after is call this script with an alias (say "sugo"), and then run gparted: sugo gparted.
              Last edited by franglais125; 11 September 2017, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

As was mentioned in other articles by many users here, yes, you can run gparted et al. in Wayland sessions.

Here is a nice piece of code by Veerappan :

Code:
                [FONT=arial]#!/bin/sh [ -n "$@" ] || exit 0 xhost si:localuser:root sudo $@ xhost -si:localuser:root[/FONT]
                All you would need to do after is call this script with an alias (say "sugo"), and then run gparted: sugo gparted.
                I'm aware of this workaround, but thanks for pointing this out anyway. I was just giving my thoughts about gnome-shell running in a wayland session from a "regular user's" point of view.

Comment

My brief experience with Wayland, although on Ubuntu-GNOME 17.04 with gnome-shell 3.24:
                  - Wayland has increased input-lag, very obvious during mouse movements
                  - Sometimes the mouse pointer freezes, or doesn't follow the mouse movements for a second or so
                  - Looks like I'm getting only 60 frames per second despite running my monitor at 120hz, judging by how the mouse pointer moves
                  - Most official GNOME apps work fine, but third party apps do not always work as expected
                  - Steam and games seem to work fine for the most part, but there are issues with increased input lag and it does look like not all rendered frames actually reach my monitor, becouse it subjectively stutters more than X but the frame-rate counter shows the exact same numbers as under X.

I will most likely install Ubuntu 17.10 when it officially releases. I'll give Wayland another shot, but I suspect I will switch back to X and hope it's ready for 18.04.

Edit:
                  I also have an old laptop which is running Arch with gnome-shell 3.24, and Wayland is default there, but I've actually changed it to X becouse it has Nvidia graphics and there was a few apps that didn't work as expected. My desktop is an AMD build with Ryzen R7 1700X, R9 Fury and open source graphics drivers. Oh, and did I mention VDPAU doesn't work on Wayland? That's a pretty big deal to me, especially on the laptop.
                  Last edited by Brisse; 11 September 2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

The numbers don't convince.

There, I've said it. Now flame me.

Comment

Working...
                    X