Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.26 Released

Phoronix: GNOME 3.26 Released

GNOME 3.26 "Manchester" has been officially released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I had been using Gnome 3x on Fedora 19 up until a couple of weeks ago when I installed Fedora 26. Unfortunately it no longer is viable on my resource-constrained hardware (maxed out @ 2G RAM), and I had to switch to XFCE to prevent hard crashes and file corruption. Gnome 3.24 and Classic (both) require >50% more memory than XFCE. Can't remember what version I had running on Fedora 19, but it had a similar memory footprint to the current XFCE.

Comment

Originally posted by dsmithhfx View Post
      I had been using Gnome 3x on Fedora 19 up until a couple of weeks ago when I installed Fedora 26. Unfortunately it no longer is viable on my resource-constrained hardware (maxed out @ 2G RAM), and I had to switch to XFCE to prevent hard crashes and file corruption. Gnome 3.24 and Classic (both) require >50% more memory than XFCE. Can't remember what version I had running on Fedora 19, but it had a similar memory footprint to the current XFCE.
      I suspect that this will improve after they get the run-time dependencies for gnome/mutter/etc to only link against and load X when needed. There was an article about this just a few days ago here on Phoronix. Of course that won't help until that version is released. I believe that 3.26 also had some performance and memory usage improvements.

With regards to memory usage, have you enabled (or considered enabling) zswap in the kernel? I've done it on most of the machines that I've got that have ended up running out of available RAM, and it's helped quite a bit. Basically, instead of swapping something to disk, it'll first try to compress the memory and keep it in RAM. Eventually, if too much stuff is still present, it'll swap to disk, but this avoids most of the I/O penalty when you're just somewhat over the limit. E.g. It can let a system with 16GB of RAM act as if it had 24-32GB depending on the compressability of the data. IBM tested it on a server with 10GB of ram a few years back, and their JVMs were able to handle 20-30GB of heap space before it actually hit the swap disk. It's also basically the same thing that MacOS and WIndows are doing to get more out of the RAM in a system these days.

All I had to add to my grub command was: zswap.enabled=1

By default it uses up to 20% of system RAM for the compressed pre-swap area, but that can be modified.

Comment

Welcome GNOME 3.26. Looking forward to working with you any day now on my Arch laptop, and in Ubuntu 17.10 on my desktop once it releases.

Been switching back and fort between epiphany-browser and firefox for a while now. Some things I whish epiphany-browser did better:
        - Autocomplete function for URL's
        - Autoscrolling
        - Improvements to it's adblocker
        - A better youtube experience (it's capped to 720p@30fps, does not use WebM, and fail to play videos with gstreamer1.0-vaapi installed)

Comment

No offense but the emojis look like shit :-)

Comment

It looks very pretty

Would be nice to see either Ubuntu use the full Dash to Dock addon (without removing features from it) or Gnome to merge Ubuntu's "limited" Dash to Dock version and ship it (as on opt-in option) with the desktop (making Dash to Dock needing to serve just the extra bits)
            Last edited by Mavman; 13 September 2017, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
              Would be nice to see either Ubuntu use the full Dash to Dock addon (without removing features from it) or Gnome to merge Ubuntu's "limited" Dash to Dock version and ship it (as on opt-in option) with the desktop (making Dash to Dock needing to serve just the extra bits)
              I think it's explained reasonably well on this blog why that is not an option:
              Big update today and probably a very awaited one: here is an important step on our journey on transforming the default session in Ubuntu Artful. Let’s get the new Ubuntu Dock installed by default! For more background on this, you can refer back to our decisions regarding our default session experience as discussed in my blog post. Day 5: A dock, light fork and upstream extension discussions. Today is THE day.

You can install and use dash-to-dock if you prefer that.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                have you enabled (or considered enabling) zswap
                I've encountered the term in some google searches on swappiness, but did not know what it is. Thanks for the tip, I'll try it. Another thing I did was disable write cache, to try to head off file corruption, and this has had surprisingly little impact on performance.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

Status quo is much better. D2D and the Ubuntu dock both have proper QA. If you implement a bastard version it will make life difficult for other docks.
                  Perhaps some documented APIs would help.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I think it's explained reasonably well on this blog why that is not an option:
                    https://didrocks.fr/2017/08/18/ubunt...-artful-day-5/

You can install and use dash-to-dock if you prefer that.
                    yes, i had read that blog post a few days after it was published. I understand your idea, but i still defend my position!

they could indeed "fork" the project and use a different id to make it "ubuntu's version", but use all the features available before ubuntu's feature freeze. Ideally, Gnome shipping/adopting ubuntu's version would be the best way to go!
                    Last edited by Mavman; 13 September 2017, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X