A New Project To Let You Run Qt Apps With GTK+ Windowing System Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Project To Let You Run Qt Apps With GTK+ Windowing System Integration

Phoronix: A New Project To Let You Run Qt Apps With GTK+ Windowing System Integration

A Norwegian developer has developed a new Qt platform abstraction plug-in to let Qt applications make use of GTK+ for windowing system integration. The Qt apps rely upon GTK+ as a host toolkit to provide GTK menus, GTK for input, and other integration bits...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

seems interesting, i use qt apps on gnome and while some look good others are plain horrible

Comment

What happened to LibreOffice Qt integration by the way? It's supposed to be possible, but Debian has only GTK option for it.

Comment

Seems like a worth-while project. I try to avoid mixing Qt and GTK depending what DE I'm using, though, that's more because of the amount of dependencies rather than integration.

Comment

It would be funny if Qt ends up integrating better into Gnome than KDE. Which is probably what's going to happen :-P

Comment

I do not use more Gtk desktop environment for some time, so I do not care, I try to avoid Gtk software, that little I use (libre office - gimp) is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Seems like a worth-while project. I try to avoid mixing Qt and GTK depending what DE I'm using, though, that's more because of the amount of dependencies rather than integration.
              I use Falkon (formerly QupZilla) on Budgie and the amount dependencies is very limited: just a couple of Qt libraries. I think you're confusing Qt with KDE: if you install anything from KDE on a GTK-based desktop, *then* you'll get a huge amount of dependencies.

Comment

The greatest reason, which makes QT apps look ugly on GNOME and GTK apps look ugly in KDE, is trying to make look QT apps like GTK ones, and GTK apps like QT ones....

These graphical toolkits aren't same. Can't be mapped 1:1. Trying to do so, will only highlight their differences and cause visual glitches.

For example, steam uses its own graphical interface. And looks perfectly fine on any desktop environment.

The main thing, a regular use requires, is to make apps look good, polished and consistent inside the app. But, the look doesn't need to be consistent between all apps.

I like apps written in both toolkits, if they use their native look.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                  I use Falkon (formerly QupZilla) on Budgie and the amount dependencies is very limited: just a couple of Qt libraries. I think you're confusing Qt with KDE: if you install anything from KDE on a GTK-based desktop, *then* you'll get a huge amount of dependencies.
                  Technically speaking, also with KDE5 they split the libraries, but I'm sure many distros keep packaging them together or add many of them as dependency even if they technically are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    Yes you are right - I forgot I adjusted my post before submitting it, but I did originally write about my need for some KDE-specific apps, (which I would argue is most Qt apps) and those have a lot of dependencies. But yes, plain Qt non-KDE apps are very low in dependencies.

Comment

Working...
                    X