Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir Continues Pushing Ahead With Wayland Client Support

Phoronix: Mir Continues Pushing Ahead With Wayland Client Support

It hasn't been this exciting watching the Mir Bazaar repository since Mir was first announced...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to se Mir finds new purpose in life

Comment

I'm a bit confused... I thought MIR was going wayside like Unity.

Comment

I would rather see Canonical spend their resources on improving Wayland and GNOME.
        It was very nice that Canonical developed the Unity shell extension for GNOME.

Comment

So... is the purpose of Mir supporting Wayland clients that it can be the display server / compositor as Wayland itself is "just a protocol"? I am thinking of smaller desktops like MATE, LXDE, LXQT, XFCE, etc. that all aren't able to write their own display server.... could they use Mir in this case to be able to move to Wayland? Forgive any ignorance, trying to get my head around all this stuff....

Comment

Originally posted by iveand View Post
            So... is the purpose of Mir supporting Wayland clients that it can be the display server / compositor as Wayland itself is "just a protocol"? I am thinking of smaller desktops like MATE, LXDE, LXQT, XFCE, etc. that all aren't able to write their own display server.... could they use Mir in this case to be able to move to Wayland? Forgive any ignorance, trying to get my head around all this stuff....
            Yes, Mir is acting as a Wayland compositor, supporting the Wayland protocol. Work/Motivation to make Mir a Wayland compositor was started due to MATE's interest in using Mir instead of writing their own compositor. MATE is involved in this work.

Comment

I'm still having the bad feeling of all of this that this will result in Mutter and Kwin needing to grow Mir support

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                I'm still having the bad feeling of all of this that this will result in Mutter and Kwin needing to grow Mir support
                .... if they stand as compositors supporting the Wayland protocol there is no need for them to use Mir.... as I am understanding what Mir in this case is doing is helping other desktop environments NOT need to use Kwin or Mutter as they are both tied to KDE and GNOME and hard to separate out..... so I think there is never any thought that KDE or GNOME will do this as they are both going to be directly supporting Wayland directly

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I would rather see Canonical spend their resources on improving Wayland and GNOME.
                  It was very nice that Canonical developed the Unity shell extension for GNOME.
                  I thought they were? To my knowledge, the Mir development at this point is all volunteer or LTS support.

Comment

Bazaar no comment....

Comment

Working...
                    X