KDevelop 5.2 Beta Brings New Heap Profiler, Better C++ & PHP Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDevelop 5.2 Beta Brings New Heap Profiler, Better C++ & PHP Support

Phoronix: KDevelop 5.2 Beta Brings New Heap Profiler, Better C++ & PHP Support

The first beta of KDevelop 5.2 is now available as the KDE-focused integrated development environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting, I was fairly disappointed last time I tried it for php work. Sounds like it has the basic down at this point. I have been focusing on extending CodeLite with the features I most want, but might still be worth giving kdevelop one more shot.

Comment

Is KDevelop a worthy alternative to Eclipse CDT?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy1524 View Post
        Depends entirely on your favourite tool chain...
        (I use Eclipse based IDEs for Xilinx and STM32 stuff)

It's not quite as polished as some of the Eclipse based apps - obviously not as many people to do the work - however KDevelop works great as a C++ IDE and has some nice features (including the generally awesome text editor).

The "side by side" documentation stuff works well enough and the clang parsing stuff (code highlighting) is good too.

I've also used it quite successfully for working with Arduino using cmake build scripts which is great because the Arduino IDE really doesn't cut it if you've used anything "serious". That said, there are a couple of wrinkles that make it a hard "first IDE"; you have to understand your toolchain.
        When I have the time to play with OpenOCD support I might give it another look for STM32...

Comment

Originally posted by Guy1524 View Post
          Yes, absolutely!

But, saying the same as what Happy Heyoka said: It depends on your toolchain. If your main development area is on some of the many web technologies, Eclipse may be the better choice.

We are currently testing KDevelop as an alternative to Qt Creator in C++ application development.

Comment

For web, Visual Studio Code is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
              for web, VS sits in a field of extremely strong candidates that meet various needs. I know of 0 (of >200) web devs who use VS. I know one DevOps guy who uses VS, in an environment where they primarily push a lot of Windows only desktop code through a TeamCity deploy system.

EDIT: I've used 7 or 8 different IDE/editors for webdev, including WebDev, and I don't see VS on top by any means.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post

for web, VS sits in a field of extremely strong candidates that meet various needs. I know of 0 (of >200) web devs who use VS. I know one DevOps guy who uses VS, in an environment where they primarily push a lot of Windows only desktop code through a TeamCity deploy system.

EDIT: I've used 7 or 8 different IDE/editors for webdev, including WebDev, and I don't see VS on top by any means.
                VS and VS Code is not the same.

Comment

Where's the CUDA highlighting?!

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                    I think I asked on the forum, but probably I didn't get the answer because I don't remember it. So, anyway, I've always wondered: how is Visual Studio Code any better than, say, Kate?

I tried VS Code at my ex-job once expecting it to open Visual Studio projects, was disappointed, played around a bit, and came to conclusion it's just another code editor, one of many others. I am obviously not comparing it to IDE-like editors like gvim (or whatever folks nowadays are using — Neovim?) or Emacs, but comparing to Kate I see Kate is more featured. It supports huge number of languages, encodings, and does even have the mini-map of Sublime Text.

Comment

Working...
                    X