Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Features Of Fedora 27

Phoronix: The New Features Of Fedora 27

The beta of Fedora 27 is finally set to be released today. Here's a look at the new features of Fedora 27...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I liked Ubuntu because it was easy to use, had relatively tested new stack of software and quick release cycle. IMHO Fedora is beating Ubuntu hands down in that regard. I'm not saying that it works 100% all of the time. It boils down to choosing the correct stack, testing it and investigating issues that are reported. The past few releases they have been improving. Well done to everyone involved!

That said, I miss apt/ppa and don't like SELinux by default (I need to spend time with the docs).

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
      don't like SELinux by default (I need to spend time with the docs).
      I used to feel the same way. However, SELinux is a really powerful and flexible security feature. There is a good article on the Fedora Magazine about SELinux Troubleshooting. Also in the article is a link to a really well done video presentation by Tomas Cameron of Red Hat. These resources are by no means comprehensive but they give a good idea about what SELinux is all about and how easy it is to work with for most simple problems.

SELinux is a powerful security feature in Fedora -- like a valet key for your computer services. This article helps you deal with the errors it uncovers.

Comment

>the "PulseAudio of video."

Hmm. PulseAudio doesn't recognize my xonardg sound card in Fedora 26 (it did in Fedora 19).

I wonder if "Pipewire" won't recognize my video card.

Comment

Originally posted by Darakus View Post

I used to feel the same way. However, SELinux is a really powerful and flexible security feature. There is a good article on the Fedora Magazine about SELinux Troubleshooting. Also in the article is a link to a really well done video presentation by Tomas Cameron of Red Hat. These resources are by no means comprehensive but they give a good idea about what SELinux is all about and how easy it is to work with for most simple problems.

https://fedoramagazine.org/troubleshooting-selinux/
          x2, people are afraid of the unknown. I used to always disable SElinux, mainly because I didn't understand it. It was this mysterious intrusive thing that prevented stuff from working. But after realizing it's only a few commands, and a few simple concepts, I now find it easy to troubleshoot and use. All of our servers at work now have SElinux enabled, even with lots of 3rd party database and application server software, because SElinux works so well and is actually easy to use once you take the time to understand it.

Comment

Working...
          X