Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora, Ubuntu, CentOS, openSUSE, Debian, Clear & Antergos Linux Benchmarks On AMD EPYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora, Ubuntu, CentOS, openSUSE, Debian, Clear & Antergos Linux Benchmarks On AMD EPYC

Phoronix: Fedora, Ubuntu, CentOS, openSUSE, Debian, Clear & Antergos Linux Benchmarks On AMD EPYC

I've just wrapped up trying out nine different Linux distributions on AMD's EPYC in the form of the EPYC 7601 housed in the TYAN Transport SX TN70A-B8026. Like our initial testing with Ubuntu on EPYC, the other modern Linux distributions all played nicely with AMD's re-entry into the server market with their Zen-based offerings. But as with any new CPU platform, the out-of-the-box performance can vary greatly depending upon the Linux operating system being used. Here are benchmarks including Fedora, Ubuntu, CentOS, openSUSE, Debian, Clear Linux and Antergos.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

@Michael: The "Wins" vs. "Losses" section is nice, but could be improved in its representativeness.
    You would need to add up the ranks of each distro and divide by the number of benchmarks. For example: If Fedora ranked 1., 3., 4., 2., (=10) in 4 benchmarks the mean rank would be 2.5.
    Problem could be to actually get a rank. You would need to take into account if the benchmark is a "the lower the better" or "the higher the better"

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
      @Michael: The "Wins" vs. "Losses" section is nice, but could be improved in its representativeness.
      You would need to add up the ranks of each distro and divide by the number of benchmarks. For example: If Fedora ranked 1., 3., 4., 2., (=10) in 4 benchmarks the mean rank would be 2.5.
      Problem could be to actually get a rank. You would need to take into account if the benchmark is a "the lower the better" or "the higher the better"
      Getting HIB/LIB isn't an issue. If anyone wants to contribute improvements, that part of the code is really easy:

The Phoronix Test Suite open-source, cross-platform automated testing/benchmarking software. - File not found · phoronix-test-suite/phoronix-test-suite
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm curious what were Redis's specific GCC compiler paramters for Intel Clear Linux ? The chart sort of cuts off the right of the options used.

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000 View Post
          I'm curious what were Redis's specific GCC compiler paramters for Intel Clear Linux ? The chart sort of cuts off the right of the options used.
          You can select it to see them:

Code:
          -pipe -fexceptions -fstack-protector -m64 -ffat-lto-objects -fno-signed-zeros -fno-trapping-math -fassociative-math

Comment

I'd be interested to see how Tumbleweed would perform if EXT4 was used instead of hamstringing it with Btrfs and XFS.

Clear Linux holds zero interest for me, since it's not even a real distro that can do the work of the others. It's just a concept distro for cloud containers or for benchmarking. I could never get enough software pieces pulled together to do any real work with it.

Comment

Is it possible to make a matrix with kernel and userland to know which improvement belongs to the kernel compile config and what belong to the binary and library ?

Comment

So why aren't Debian based distros using "aggressive compiler" optimizations such as Clear Linux? It's obviously doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Getting HIB/LIB isn't an issue. If anyone wants to contribute improvements, that part of the code is really easy:

https://github.com/phoronix-test-sui...and_losers.php
                  sadly I am not really a coder. I did some html 10 years ago, thats it. I can read the code sure, but if I edit it - how would I even test the changes?

Comment

Originally posted by elldekaa View Post

You can select it to see them:

Code:
                    -pipe -fexceptions -fstack-protector -m64 -ffat-lto-objects -fno-signed-zeros -fno-trapping-math -fassociative-math
                    thanks !

Comment

Working...
                    X