Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Amarok Music Player Seeing A Possible KF5/Qt5 Port

Phoronix: KDE's Amarok Music Player Seeing A Possible KF5/Qt5 Port

It has been several years since last seeing an update to the Amarok open-source music player, but it looks like it may be alive and ticking after all, at least with one developer working towards a KF5/Qt5 port...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Amarok kinda dropped the ball when it went to version 2

Comment

Is clementime still considered a good library manager?
      I must admit on my laptop (XFCE) I don't tend to browse music with an application, mostly just managing files by directory or copying to htpc or EasyTag corrections...
      HTPC on kodi so...

Comment

Does Amarok still look hideous? Last I checked it looked like Konqueror vs Dolphin.

Comment

Cool! I was interested in working on that myself. It looks like a good effort, given one of the Amarok developers looked it over and said that it's almost good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by suberimakuri View Post
            Is clementime still considered a good library manager?
            I must admit on my laptop (XFCE) I don't tend to browse music with an application, mostly just managing files by directory or copying to htpc or EasyTag corrections...
            HTPC on kodi so...
            Clementine is the only music player I know of that can manage my current collection (177GB across 24700 tracks). Mpd outright fails to index that many songs, and every other player I've tried has had some kind of error handling that.

Clementine cannot add new music anymore to an existing db - I have to delete the db and reinitialize it every time I add more tracks - but once it has the collection it can handle that many songs. Nothing else can manage that from what I've tried.

It is a shame development in Clementine has really died down, but it is a mammoth code base to work on, and its all C++03 with the only hard dependency being Qt4. The Qt5 port is mostly just triage to make it work - in practice, using KF5 Clementine could probably shed thousands of LOCs. But that would be a huge amount of work.
            Last edited by zanny; 04 October 2017, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

Clementine is the only music player I know of that can manage my current collection (177GB across 24700 tracks). Mpd outright fails to index that many songs, and every other player I've tried has had some kind of error handling that.
              Have tried quodlibet?

Comment

+1 to clementine, I use the qt5-git nightly build myself and find it stable for everyday use.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                  (177GB across 24700 tracks). Mpd outright fails to index that many songs
                  mpd works fine for me, with over three times as many files.

Comment

Amarok seemed abandoned long time ago, can't imagine there are really a lot of users left. It always was full of bugs and the interface/usability is just bad. Don't know if it is worth the effort, Clementine seems to be the better choice, but even this looks outdated. A good library manager would be nice, that sorts, renames and updates folders/files and tags automatically.

Comment

Working...
                    X