Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i7 8700K Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: Intel Core i7 8700K Linux Benchmarks

2017 has been an interesting year for processors with AMD's long awaited introduction of the Zen-based Ryzen / Threadripper / EPYC processors, Intel's Core X-Series processors for high-end desktops, the Xeon Scalable processor family introduction, and now the launch of Coffee Lake as a "Kaby Lake Refresh" step before the Cannonlake desktop processors expected in 2018. While another 14nm CPU, Coffee Lake is interesting is that Intel has now upped their desktop core counts in response to Ryzen. With the Core i7 series is now six cores plus Hyper Threading, compared to 4 cores plus HT with previous i7 models. The Core i5 CPUs are also now six core but sans Hyper Threading and there is also the just-published Core i5 8400 Linux benchmarks. This article serves as our first look at the Coffee Lake Core i7 CPUs in the form of the 8700K.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great initial review and thanks to Intel for making sure Phoronix had a review sample in advance of the NDA date.

Comment

i7-8700K is faster than i7-7700K (about 30-40%).

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
        Great initial review and thanks to Intel for making sure Phoronix had a review sample in advance of the NDA date.
        The numbers aren't too shabby either. But at similar performance and price, many will still choose to support the underdog.

Comment

I just don't get why Intel throws such a horribly bottlenecked GPU on every single CPU they make. They've already proven to the whole entire world that it absolutely -needs- an L4 cache the graphics processor can utilize. Why they don't actually do what they've already proven is totally beyond me.

(It's almost like they are asking how many more years can PC gaming hold out for.....And that's entirely monopolistic in concept.)
          Last edited by duby229; 05 October 2017, 09:51 AM.

Comment

How will the availability be of this CPU? I seen a lot of reports that there will be very few samples this year and real volumes almost at the same time of ZEN2/ZEN refresh.
            Is this a paperlaunch or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
              How will the availability be of this CPU? I seen a lot of reports that there will be very few samples this year and real volumes almost at the same time of ZEN2/ZEN refresh.
              Is this a paperlaunch or not?
              At least in the US, NewEgg has stocked all the models today.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I don't know about you, but I find it a bit annoying how they didn't do anything to the name of the socket despite changing the the pinout to the point of 0% cross compatibility. They could have at least called it LGA 1151v2 or something.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  I just don't get why Intel throws such a horribly bottlenecked GPU on every single CPU they make. They've already proven to the whole entire world that it absolutely -needs- an L4 cache the graphics processor can utilize. Why they don't actually do what they've already proven is totally beyond me.

(It's almost like they are asking how many more years can PC gaming hold out for.....And that's entirely monopolistic in concept.)
                  Gaming is for children, Intel iGPU is more than good enough for adults. It also has very good driver support under Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by veikok View Post

Gaming is for children, Intel iGPU is more than good enough for adults. It also has very good driver support under Linux.
                    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the real truth is, most people born in the 80's or later have been exposed to gaming their whole lives. Most people -wrongly- believe they'll be able to game. And -that- is almost entirely Intel's fault.

Comment

Working...
                    X