Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i3, i5, i7 With NVIDIA vs. AMD Radeon For Linux Gaming

Phoronix: Intel Core i3, i5, i7 With NVIDIA vs. AMD Radeon For Linux Gaming

For those wondering which Intel Coffeelake processors would make the most sense for a Linux gaming rig, I took the new Core i3 8100, Core i5 8400, and Core i7 8700K processors and tested them each with two Radeon and two NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards for looking at the overall Linux OpenGL/Vulkan gaming performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The comparison I was waiting for. Thanks Michael!

I'm thinking about building a rig with core i3 8100 + Vega 56

Comment

Is Mesa Git really that unstable at the moment? I've played some two hours of Witcher 3 on a fresh Mesa build from this morning on my RX 480 and had absolutely zero issues (at least none that are in any way related to Mesa), and everything else I've been playing the past couple of days ran fine as well, so I'm a little surprised.

Comment

Well is interesting seeing RadeonSI being Windows level competitive with nVidia BLOB in most test, Vulkan still need a bit of work is pretty damn competitive already to be so young and only developed by 3 guys

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
          Is Mesa Git really that unstable at the moment? I've played some two hours of Witcher 3 on a fresh Mesa build from this morning on my RX 480 and had absolutely zero issues (at least none that are in any way related to Mesa), and everything else I've been playing the past couple of days ran fine as well, so I'm a little surprised.
          Probably is related to the LLVM build, as a rule of thumb you should get Mesa-git and LLVM-svn very close(as in checkout time) to each other or vice versa an llvm patch broke mesa because the proper patch hasn't landed yet(in mesa). it happened like a week ago to me.

but yeah, as rule of thumb always keep a cache of previous version of mesa and llvm around in case something gets broken because is always a possibility when you live in the bleeding edge

Comment

I like these more focused comparisons. Graphs like the ones in this article: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...m=core-i3-8100 make my brain go into instant "too much noise on that signal" mode and I just read the analysis or skip to to the conclusion.

Comment

Michael

Good article but lack of 1080p tests (4K dont care for now)

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                With Serious Sam 3 BFE on Vulkan when using loe quality settings

Comment

Anybody besides me know before seeing the results that the i3 was going to be just barely trailing behind in every test?

A little sad that a low-end mainstream product is sufficient for gaming nowadays. And yet on other forums people try so desperately to justify upgrading their existing i7 to something like an 8700K, specifically for gaming purposes. I get it - future games are probably going to be more multi-threaded. But of the games that currently utilize 8+ threads (particularly in Windows), all of them are comfortably playable on 4-threaded CPUs, at least if overclocked.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Anybody besides me know before seeing the results that the i3 was going to be just barely trailing behind in every test?

A little sad that a low-end mainstream product is sufficient for gaming nowadays. And yet on other forums people try so desperately to justify upgrading their existing i7 to something like an 8700K, specifically for gaming purposes. I get it - future games are probably going to be more multi-threaded. But of the games that currently utilize 8+ threads (particularly in Windows), all of them are comfortably playable on 4-threaded CPUs, at least if overclocked.
                    They are already far more multithreaded in Windows. The jump between the processors is far more significant there. That being said, the i5 8600k beats out the i7 8700k in quite a few games. Not sure if it is Window's scheduler, or the games that cause that but we generally don't see that sort of degradation in performance when enabling hyperthreading on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X