Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Xeon Silver 4108 + Tyan Tempest HX S7100

Phoronix: Intel Xeon Silver 4108 + Tyan Tempest HX S7100

One of the latest server platforms under our bombardment of Linux benchmarks recently has been the Tyan Tempest HX S7100 (S7100AG2NR) motherboard which at the moment is paired with an Intel Xeon Silver 4108 processor. This ~$430 Xeon Scalable processor has eight cores plus Hyper Threading to yield 16 threads, a low 1.8GHz base frequency but with 3.0GHz turbo, 11MB L3 cache, six-channel memory support, AVX-512 capabilities, and has a 85 Watt TDP.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Price seems decent, for an Intel server CPU.

I'm curious what this CPU would look like de-lidded; that IHS has a pretty weird shape to it, and, the top part of it doesn't seem to be perfectly flat. For socket 2066, Intel seems to have glued on the board of a smaller socket beneath the IHS, so this gets me to wonder if they did the same for socket 3647 (that sure is going to be a hard number to remember).

And no, I'm not expecting Michael to de-lid this. That's not the kind of thing he should be testing for; that's a job best left for a different reviewer who would do one session of tests with the CPU and never touch it again.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 13 October 2017, 10:41 AM.

Comment

...there are also three PCI Express 3.0 x86 slots...
      Amazing!!

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

Amazing!!
        Heh fixed, thanks.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

85W TDP, yeah right..., at base frequency perhaps in idle.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
            There are power results at end of this article...
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

There are power results at end of this article...
              I know, I wonder how Intel is not being sued for false advertisement of a product. TDP should be max power draw under load, no overclocking. Refusal to publish clock speed ratio tables for Coffee Lake and onwards is another anti-consumer move. I think my Sandy Bridge is going to be my last Intel processor.

Comment

Are the two m.2 drives able to be put in RAID?

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
                  What do you mean by this? Test results show that the entire system peaked at 96W, take away power used my the motherboard and other components and this seems spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by drozek View Post
                    Are the two m.2 drives able to be put in RAID?
                    There is not hardware RAID support across the two M.2 slots but you could use Btrfs RAID / mdadm should work.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X