Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core i7 8700K vs. Ryzen 7 1800X For NVIDIA/Radeon Linux Gaming

Phoronix: Core i7 8700K vs. Ryzen 7 1800X For NVIDIA/Radeon Linux Gaming

Following last week's look at using the new "Coffee Lake" Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 CPUs for Linux gaming comparison among our other ongoing tests of these new "8th Gen" processors, a frequent request has been a closer look at the gaming performance between the Core i7 8700K and the Ryzen 7 1800X. Here's a look with two AMD Radeon graphics cards and two NVIDIA GeForce offerings.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Both systems were running Ubuntu 17.04 x86_64 with the Linux 4.13.6
    (they were running 4.13.7)

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided at 1400p with
    (what an exotic resolution)

Dawn of War 3 at 1080p was much faster with both its OpenGL and Vulkan renderers.
    (much faster where, though?)

Ryzen 7 1800X was allowing for better peformance across the board
    Last edited by tildearrow; 16 October 2017, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Wth is wrong with Linux? Those CPUs are never that far apart on Windows.

Comment

pretty good results for Ryzen, when GPU is maxed out (aka 4K resolution) then its tight between the CPUs, because obviously GPU bottlenecks first. Given that you can buy a Ryzen R5 1600 with like nearly 150€ less thn 8700K and also motherboards are currently cheaper of AMD offerings, its not really bad, unless you got a GTX 1080Ti and want maximum framerates on lowest settings and 1080p

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Wth is wrong with Linux? Those CPUs are never that far apart on Windows.
          its because opengl games aren't threaded and singlecore perf counts, so higher frequency will win + intel has slight advantage on IPC when it comes to clock per clock.
          My ryzen R7 1700X @3.9ghz performs same as Haswell i7 4790K @4,4ghz on singlethreaded scenarios. When it comes to multithreading things change quite a bit

Comment

Michael Check please if there is MCE enabled or auto setting at the BIOS of the ASUS board cause they make use of it by default in their boards but this is cheat cause it is overclock beyond intel's turbo boost. If this is the case these results will be available only in Asus boards with this option enabled or auto so it is not a default situation for other mboards, and users may not see such differences in performance between 1800x and 8700k. It is proven in other benchmarks that 1800x easily takes more wins over 8700k without this <<cheat>> enabled in certain asus mboards.

Comment

But on the other hand, if we want to be fair, this cheat shows that 8700k is a great overclocker CPU! Great disadvantage though that it is running really hot and requires good cooling solutions like water. Intel continues to be really cheap in the thermal paste they use between the cpu and the heatspreader.

Comment

It would be nice to see some consistency in the benchmarks. The quality settings are all over the place. Some low, some medium, some high and ultra. any where from 1080 to 4K resolution. I for one would like to see less articles but higher quality. I would not support financially until then. Better descriptions of application settings and system configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by monte84 View Post
                  It would be nice to see some consistency in the benchmarks. The quality settings are all over the place. Some low, some medium, some high and ultra. any where from 1080 to 4K resolution. I for one would like to see less articles but higher quality. I would not support financially until then. Better descriptions of application settings and system configurations.
                  Because there's little point in e.g. benchmarking them all at 1080p high quality or so when each game/engine behaves differently... In a game like Xonotic where it can often run several hundred frames per second, it makes more sense stressing it more at 4K than e.g. Deus Ex at 4K where it would be running at a couple frames per second.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post
                    its because opengl games aren't threaded and singlecore perf counts, so higher frequency will win + intel has slight advantage on IPC when it comes to clock per clock.
                    What? Have you looked at a Linux game and found it only uses one process? I know OpenGL is supposedly unable to make use of multiple command queues (or something like that), but that doesn't mean the rest of the application can't be multithreaded.

Edit: Keep in mind DX11 isn't multithreaded either and most games on Windows are still written for DX11.
                    Last edited by bug77; 17 October 2017, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X