AMD Developers Begin Making Open-Source FreeSync/AdaptiveSync Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Developers Begin Making Open-Source FreeSync/AdaptiveSync Plans

Phoronix: AMD Developers Begin Making Open-Source FreeSync/AdaptiveSync Plans

While the AMDGPU DC code is expected to land for Linux 4.15 with goodies like Vega display support, HDMI/DP audio, and atomic mode-setting, one of the sought after display features won't be initially supported: FreeSync or the VESA-backed AdaptiveSync...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really grate that they are perusing a common implementation. Would love to see Nouveau implement it as well

Comment

Thanks for getting these answers out there. This is one of the features I miss the most since ditching Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
        Really grate that they are perusing a common implementation. Would love to see Nouveau implement it as well
        Now that would be something. Nvidia refuses to support this standard and use their own proprietary Gsync instead. Would be awesome if Nouveau could bring industry standard implementation to Nvidia users.

Comment

AMD is on the right way with Linux support. Having nicely supported GPU on complete open-source driver stack would be great! It brings better integration with Linux eco-system, and longer support, compared to closed-source drivers.

This, would be the reason, why would I buy laptop having AMD GPU in future. Currently, I still prefer Intel-only solutions with non-nvidia GPU.

Comment

Intel talked about implementing Adaptive Sync back in 2015, sad that they haven't updated us about that yet.

Would love to buy a new laptop when the new AMD mobile APUs are released, but sadly I don't want to replace my current laptop which is only 2 years old. I'm simply not interested in carrying around a 2kg+ gaming laptop with a dedicated graphics card with a display with variable framerate.

Comment

Big thanks to AMD for this OS approach!

Comment

Pleased to hear this, I really look forward to this!
                At the same time, I feel dissatisfied that it has taken so long and not be done sooner.

I hope Intel gets Adaptive-Sync support too.

Comment

This is great news indeed! This is making me want to forget about ever finishing my Windows only games before I switch over to Linux.

Comment

At this pace it seems i will be getting a vega2 instead of vega. I won't go with them as long as there is no proper driver support. And open source driver support is main reason to go with AMD over Nvidia.

Comment

Working...
                    X