Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD EPYC 7251 Provides Great Value At Less Than $500 USD

Phoronix: AMD EPYC 7251 Provides Great Value At Less Than $500 USD

We have been delivering a number of EPYC 7601 Linux benchmarks since receiving this 32 core / 64 thread high-end server processor a little more than one month ago. Recently we received some additional EPYC processors from AMD for testing and for this next batch of benchmarking decided to begin with the EPYC 7251, which is the current lowest-end EPYC part. For priced at under $500 USD, this eight core / 16 thread processor has a lot to offer.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know if it's just because the frequencies are different, but I find it odd how Epyc seems to be so much better than Xeon, whereas Ryzen is underwhelming compared to the Core i series.

Michael: Might be interesting to see an IPC test of Ryzen vs Epyc, with the 8700K and the Xeon Silver included in the mix too.

Comment

I also would like to see EPYC vs comparable core series for a giving price range. Maybe add the higher price CPU to compensate for the motherboard premium of EPYC.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I don't know if it's just because the frequencies are different, but I find it odd how Epyc seems to be so much better than Xeon, whereas Ryzen is underwhelming compared to the Core i series.

Michael: Might be interesting to see an IPC test of Ryzen vs Epyc, with the 8700K and the Xeon Silver included in the mix too.
        guessing better binning and 8 channel bandwidth since we know Zen infinity fabric is always starved

Comment

Impressive CPU, even though I'm heavy on the multitasking, but still barely manage to stress my Ryzen 7 1700. Can't think of what I would do with tgis epyc, though I want one.. 😃

Comment

adding to what jrch2k8 said (something like "why they did like this"), Ryzen can be priced more competitively in the consumer range and still fare well, while Epyc needs all it can get to assault the Intel stronghold on server (and get some share in that high-margin market).

Comment

Hmm, considering asmFish, what about StockFish? Iirc, they have automated tests. Would be interesting to see what icc vs gcc have to say on EPYC vs Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                adding to what jrch2k8 said (something like "why they did like this"), Ryzen can be priced more competitively in the consumer range and still fare well, while Epyc needs all it can get to assault the Intel stronghold on server (and get some share in that high-margin market).
                But Epyc was often outperforming (or close to it) the Xeons of similar core counts and/or frequencies. So even ignoring price point, Epyc was still doing oddly very good, and I'm not sure the extra memory channels are enough. But maybe I'm wrong - this is why I'm interested in an IPC test against Ryzen.

Comment

Epyc has 8 memory channels to feed 8 cores. To demonstrate the value of this memory bandwidth, one would just need to compare this chip to a similarly clocked ryzen, also with 8 cores, but only two memory channels. Workloads that are memory bound would stand out very much.

I work a lot with such workloads and our sweet spot is somewhere around two cores per memory channel. Then it's just a matter of who offers more for money. This year it's AMD.

Comment

But Epyc was often outperforming (or close to it) the Xeons of similar core counts and/or frequencies. So even ignoring price point, Epyc was still doing oddly very good, and I'm not sure the extra memory channels are enough. But maybe I'm wrong - this is why I'm interested in an IPC test against Ryzen.
                    It's because of power density... EYPC and Ryzen are more power efficient they sacrifice a tiny bit of performance for much lower wattage per core, whereas Intel has too goose theirs to hit higher clock rates which AMD is ignoring mostly. Basically AMD has a fast enough core, and Intel is still trying to win based in single thread perf which server guys only care about a little bit. Also EYPC has much wider IO than Intel... which honestly is the bigger win than raw synthetic perf.

I'm going to say it again, I want to see basically a 7251 + specialized accelerator + HBM on package etc... I wont be surprised if this is what they end up making for TESLA...
                    Last edited by cb88; 17 October 2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X